- Balsamo G, Maxted AM, Midla JW, et al. Compendium of measures to control Chlamydia psittaci infection among humans (psittacosis) and pet birds (avian chlamydosis), 2017pdf iconexternal icon. J Avian Med Surg. 2017;31(3):262–82.
- 2010 case definition for psittacosis/ornithosis.
- Siegel JD, Rhinehart E, Jackson M, et al, and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. 2007 Guideline for isolation precautions: Preventing transmission of infectious agents in healthcare settings.
- McGovern OL, Kobayashi M, Shaw KA, et al. Use of real-time PCR for Chlamydia psittaci detection in human specimens during an outbreak of psittacosis — Georgia and Virginia, 2018. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021:70(14):505–9.
- Wolff BJ, Morrison SS, Winchell JM. Development of a multiplex TaqMan real-time PCR assay for the detection of Chlamydia psittaci and Chlamydia pneumoniae in human clinical specimensexternal icon. 2018;90(3):167–70.
- Wolff BJ, Morrison SS, Pesti D, et al. Chlamydia psittaci comparative genomics reveals intraspecies variations in the putative outer membrane and type III secretion system genesexternal icon. Microbiology. 2015;161(7):1378–91.
- Mitchell SL, Wolff BJ, Thacker WL, et al. Genotyping of Chlamydophila psittaci by real-time PCR and high-resolution melt analysisexternal icon. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47(1):175–81.
Surveillance, epidemiology, and outbreaks
- Gaede W, Reckling KF, Dresenkamp B, et al. Chlamydophila psittaci infections in humans during an outbreak of psittacosis from poultry in Germanyexternal icon. Zoonoses Public Health. 2008;55(4):184–8.
- Heddema ER, van Hannen EJ, Duim B, et al. An outbreak of psittacosis due to Chlamydophila psittaci genotype A in a veterinary teaching hospitalexternal icon. J Med Microbiol. 2006;55(11):1571–5.
- Lardner AJ, Lett S, Harvey E, et al. Human psittacosis linked to a bird distributor in Mississippi — Massachusetts and Tennessee, 1992. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1992;41(42):794–7.
- Epidemiologic notes and reports psittacosis at a turkey processing plant — North Carolina, 1989. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1990;39(27):460–1,67–9.
Page last reviewed: March 17, 2022
Content source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases