Health Benefits of Physical Activity for Adults
A single bout of moderate-to vigorous physical activity provides immediate benefits for your health.
– Improves sleep quality
- Less Anxiety
– Reduces feelings of anxiety
- Blood Pressure
– Reduces blood pressure
Regular physical activity provides important health benefits for chronic disease prevention.
- Brain Health
– Reduces risks of developing dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease) and reduces risk of depression
- Heart Health
– Lowers risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes
- Cancer Prevention
-Lowers risk of eight cancers: bladder, breast, colon, endometrium, esophagus, kidney, lung, and stomach
- Healthy Weight
– Reduces risk of weight gain
- Bone Strength
– Improves bone health
- Balance and Coordination
– Reduces risks of falls
Emerging research suggests physical activity may also help boost immune function.1,2
- Nieman, D. C., & Wentz, L. M. (2019). The compelling link between physical activity and the body’s defense system. Journal of sport and health science, 8(3), 201-217.
- Jones, A. W., & Davison, G. (2019). Exercise, Immunity, and Illness. In Muscle and Exercise Physiology (pp. 317-344). Academic Press.