Board of Scientific Counselors (BSC)
The Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (OPHPR) Board of Scientific Counselors (BSC) is an advisory committee chartered under the Federal Advisory Committee Act.
About the OPHPR BSC
The BSC is managed by the Office of Science and Public Health Practice and holds both in-person and web-based meetings, in compliance with the regulations set forth by the Federal Advisory Committee Act. The BSC holds its in-person meetings at the CDC in Atlanta at least twice a year.
The BSC is charged with
- Advising the Secretary of Health and Human Services, the CDC Director, and the OPHPR Director concerning strategies and goals for preparedness programs and research
- Conducting peer-review of scientific programs
- Performing secondary reviews of research grants
- Monitoring OPHPR's overall strategic direction and focus
The BSC charter provides for the following membership
- 11 Special Government Employee members (voting)
- 3 Ex Officio members (voting) – 1 each from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and the Department of Defense (DoD)
- Liaison representatives (non-voting) from the following organizations:
- Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL)
- Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH)
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO)
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE)
- National Association of County & City Health Officials (NACCHO)
- Tribal Epidemiological Centers (TECs)
Voting board members and non-voting liaison representatives have expertise in the following topic areas relevant to emergency preparedness and response:business, crisis leadership, emergency response and management, engineering, epidemiology, health policy and management, informatics, laboratory science, medicine, mental and behavioral health, public health law, public health practice, risk communication and social science.
Upcoming Meeting Information
Past Meeting Resources
- Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) 2020 Report (April 3, 2013)
- Career Epidemiology Field Officer (CEFO) Program Review (September 14, 2011)
- Division of Strategic National Stockpile (DSNS) Program Review (September 14, 2011)
- Division of Emergency Operations (DEO) Project Review (April 22, 2011)
- Division of State and Local Readiness (DSLR) Program Review (April 26, 2010)
- Fiscal Allocation Process Program Review (April 27, 2009)
OPHPR BSC Buzz Articles
Questions regarding the activities of the OPHPR BSC may be addressed to CDR Christye Brown, Coordinator, OPHPR Board of Scientific Counselors, at OPHPR.BSC.Questions@cdc.gov.
- Page last reviewed: December 8, 2016
- Page last updated: December 8, 2016
- Content source: