SDP Vocabulary Service
To accelerate the data collection process for disease surveillance, the Surveillance Data Platform Vocabulary Service (SDP-V) enables public health professionals to generate data collection instruments from a repository of questions, response sets, and groupings of questions (called sections). It also provides visibility into which programs and surveillance systems are using this content.
Users can search for existing content that meets their own data collection needs. This enhances consistency by reducing the number of different ways that CDC asks for similar information, lowers reporting burden on partners, and allows users to spend more time in data analysis. When needed, users are also able to author their own content, either from scratch, or use existing content as a starting point.
- Search and Filter to Find Existing Content Easily: Facilitates discovery and reuse of existing vocabulary content.
- Leverage Expertise Across Programs and Systems: Allows users to see which programs and systems are using which content, providing insight into the context behind content’s use, and allowing users to leverage other programs’ experience and work.
- Author New Content: When no existing content meets an author’s data collection needs, the Surveillance Data Platform Vocabulary Service provides an interface for authors to create new content from scratch, or extend existing content. Extending means creating a copy of existing content to be used as a starting point for an author’s own needs.
- Draft Content Privately or in Collaborative Authoring Groups, then Submit for Publishing when Ready: Authors decide when their new content is ready to be submitted for Publisher review and public visibility. SDP-V keeps track of changes to draft content.
- Export Groupings of Questions in Sections and SDP-V Surveys: Leverage Vocabulary service content and authoring capabilities to create a data collection specification for use in other data collection tools like Epi Info, REDCap, or other tools.
- Integrate Vocabulary with other Tools through Application Programming Interface (API): Leverage Vocabulary service content and authoring capabilities to create a data collection specification for integration with other tools through API.
- Import Existing Content: Reduce time it takes to get existing content from surveys, data dictionaries, and other sources into SDP-V for use and reuse using SDP-V import templates.
- Search for Codes Across Several Code Systems: Enables authors to look up coded values from code systems such as LOINC and SNOMED for use in their response sets.
- Maintain Version History: See the evolution of Vocabulary content from one published version to the next.
- Identify Harmonization Opportunities Using the Curation Wizard: Quickly see how authors from other programs have asked similar questions or defined response sets. Reuse can improve data quality and reduce burden.
This document serves as a reference for users of the Surveillance Data Platform Vocabulary Service (SDP-V) on how to use the application. It also provides background and context on the intent of SDP-V, the types of content it contains, the various user roles, and the actions users are able to take depending on their role.