Resources and Publications
- Pertussis Postexposure Antimicrobial Prophylaxis
- Letter of Guidance for Parents and Clinicians during Outbreaks
You can adapt this draft letter during pertussis outbreaks in schools or other closed or contained settings.
- Surveillance Manual’s Chapter on Pertussis
Manual from the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases textbook.
- CDC and CSTE Case Definition for NNDSS
- Outbreak Control, Surveillance Manual’s Chapter on Pertussis
Manual from the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases textbook
- Educational Materials
Fact sheets, posters, e-cards, podcasts, hear the cough…
- Terranella A, Rea V, Griffith M, et al. Vaccine effectiveness of tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid, and acellular pertussis vaccine during a pertussis outbreak in MaineExternal. Vaccine. 2016;34(22):2496–500.
- Matthias J, Pritchard PS, Martin SW, et al. Sustained transmission of pertussis in a highly vaccinated preschool: A 1-5-year-old cohortExternal. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22(2):242–6.
- Winter K, Glaser C, Watt J, Harriman K. Pertussis Epidemic – California, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63(48):1129–32.
- Matthias J, Dusek C, Pritchard PS, Rutledge L, Kinchen P, Lander M. Notes from the field: Outbreak of pertussis in a school and religious community averse to health care and vaccinations — Columbia County, Florida, 2013. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63(30):655.
- CDC. Pertussis Epidemic — Washington, 2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61(28):517–22.
- Mandal S, Tatti K, Wooods-Stout D, et al. Pertussis pseudo-outbreak linked to specimens contaminated by Bordetella pertussis DNA from clinic surfacesExternal. Pediatrics. 2011;129(2),e424–30.
- CDC. Notes from the Field: Pertussis – California, January-June 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59(26):817.
- CDC. Use of mass Tdap vaccination to control an outbreak of pertussis in a high school — Cook County, Illinois, September 2006-January 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008;57(29):796–9.
- Outbreaks of respiratory illness mistakenly attributed to pertussis – New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Tennessee, 2004-2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007;56(33):837–842.
- CDC. Pertussis outbreak in an Amish community — Kent County, Delaware, September 2004–February 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55(30):817–21.
- CDC. Outbreaks of pertussis associated with hospitals – Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Oregon, 2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005;54(3):67–71.
- CDC. School-associated pertussis outbreak — Yavapai County, Arizona, September 2002-February 2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53(10):216–9.
- CDC. Pertussis outbreak among adults at an oil refinery — Illinois, August-October 2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52(01):1–4.
Page last reviewed: August 7, 2017