2007 Acanthamoeba Keratitis Outbreak Investigation
The links below provide information on Acanthamoeba keratitis and CDC’s 2007 outbreak investigation that led to the recall of a contact lens disinfection solution. The materials in this section summarize the investigation for historical purposes. The investigation has been officially completed.
Publications Related to the 2007 AK Investigation
- Verani JR, Lorick SA, Yoder JS, et al. National outbreak of Acanthamoeba keratitis associated with use of a contact lens solution, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:1236-1242. [PDF – 7 pages]
- Johnston SP, Sriram R, Qvarnstrom Y, Roy S, Verani J, Yoder JS, Lorick S, Roberts J, Beach MJ, Visvesvara G. Resistance of Acanthamoeba cysts to disinfection in multiple contact lens solutions. J Clin Micro. 2009;47:2040-5.
- Acanthamoeba Keratitis — Multiple States, 2005-2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. May 26, 2007/56(Dispatch);1-3.
- Page last reviewed: June 9, 2017
- Page last updated: June 9, 2017
- Content source: