Infographic: Be Ready! Winter Weather
Download Infographic: English [PDF – 344 KB] | Español [PDF – 353 KB]
Be Ready! Winter Weather
- Weatherproof your home to protect against the cold.
- Install a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector in your home. Make sure the batteries are working!
- Have your chimney or flue inspected every year.
- Insulate walls and attic.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- If power lines are down, call your local utility and emergency services
- If power lines fall on your car, warn people not to touch the car or power lines.
- Make sure your car is ready for winter travel.
- Make a winter emergency kit to keep in your car.
- Keep gas tank full to avoid ice in tank and fuel lines.
- Replace worn tires and check tire air pressure.
- Check antifreeze level and have radiator system serviced.
- Prepare yourself for exposure to winter weather.
- Dress warmly and limit exposure to the cold to prevent frostbite.
- Avoid getting wet to prevent hypothermia.
- Check out more tips on winter weather indoor safety.
- Never leave lit candles or other flames unattended.
- Bring your pets indoors as temperatures drop!