Download Infographic PDF: English [PDF – 133 KB] | Español [PDF – 133 KB]
Be Ready! Tornadoes
- Look up! If you see any of these danger signs, take shelter immediately:
- a dark or green colored sky
- large, dark, low-lying cloud
- large hail
- loud roar similar to a freight train
- Get out! Don’t stay in a mobile home during a tornado. Find a sturdy building, or seek shelter outside.
- Watch out! Most fatalities and injuries are caused by flying debris.
- Tornado watch: Tornadoes are possible. Be alert to changing conditions.
Tornado warning: A tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. Take shelter immediately.
- Stay tuned! Listen to local radio and TV stations for weather updates. Take shelter if a tornado warning is issued.
- Be cautious! Do not try to outrun a tornado. Find a sturdy building to take shelter or stop your car, put your head below the windows, and cover your head.
- Take shelter! The safest place is the interior part of a basement or an inside room, without windows, on the lowest floor.