Veterinary Student Day 2017
This webpage has been set up to provide participants with important information about Veterinary Student Day 2017.
It is our pleasure to invite you to attend Veterinary Student Day 2017! This year’s event will focus on the theme of "the Secret Life of Pets and Vets" and will take place in Atlanta, Georgia at CDC Headquarters on January 22 and 23, 2017. CDC Headquarters is located at 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta GA, 30329. Speakers from CDC and other organizations will provide their perspectives on the following topics:
- Emerging zoonotic and infectious diseases
- Global health: challenges and strategies
- One Health: protecting human and animal health
- Migration and health
- Environmental health
- Career and training opportunities
- Epidemiology in action – Test your skills!
Since 2006, we have welcomed hundreds of veterinary students and faculty to our beautiful CDC campus to learn about exciting careers with the federal government. Seminar attendance is free of charge. Thanks to our sponsors, refreshments and lunch will be provided. We regret however, that we are not able to offer travel support for attendance. Below you will find information on registration, transportation, and what to expect for your visit to CDC, Atlanta. Check this page often for important information and updates regarding your visit.
- Agenda for the Sunday Reception [PDF - 1 page]
- Agenda for Monday: Veterinary Student Day [PDF - 1 page]
- Faculty Agenda [PDF - 1 page]
The Emory Inn and Conference Center Hotel: 1615 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30329 (across the street from CDC). Reservations can be made by phone (800) 933-6679 or online at the hotel’s Veterinary Student Day page. This hotel is located across the street from CDC and is within walking distance. No transportation will be provided to and from the reception or event from any hotels.
Other hotels in the area are available:
- Holiday Inn Express Emory: 2183 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA 30033
(1.4 miles from CDC) (404) 320-0888 $140 - $190/night
- Courtyard by Marriot: 1236 Executive Park Dr NE, Atlanta, GA 30329
(2.2 miles from CDC) (404) 728-0708 $120 - $170/night
During your stay, check out restaurants and activities around Atlanta:
CDC Visitor Center is located 0.5 miles (11 minute walk) from the Emory Conference Center Hotel.
Attendees may drive to the CDC Visitor Center on the morning of the event. If driving, please allow at least 15 minutes for the security check of all visitor vehicles arriving on CDC’s campus (including rental cars and taxis).
- When you enter the CDC campus, veer right to proceed to the security checkpoint. Identify yourself as a visitor for Veterinary Student Day.
- Security officers will ask to see your picture ID (driver's license, passport, or state-issued photo ID) and will do a quick scan of the undercarriage of your vehicle.
- Security officers will then ask you to open both the trunk and the hood of your car for inspection. You may be asked to step out of the vehicle while it is being inspected.
- You will then be directed to the visitor parking deck (straight ahead), which is connected to the Visitor Center. CDC staff with the Veterinary Student Day will meet you in the lobby of the Visitor Center to assist you.
MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) is Atlanta’s public transportation system. From the airport you will take the North bound line to the 5 Points station, where you will transfer to the East bound line to Decatur station. No additional payment will be needed for the transfer. MARTA fare is $1-2 for a Breeze Ticket/Card plus $2.50 per ride. MARTA does not go directly to CDC’s Campus.
Taxi fares from the airport to the hotels near CDC generally cost around $40-50 dollars per trip. Several taxi services are listed below. Uber and Lyft are also available in Atlanta.
Atlanta Checkered Cab: 404-351-1111
American Cab Company: 404-873-1410
Buckhead Safety Cab Company: 404-875-3777
What to expect during your visit to CDC:
CDC welcomes you to its main campus! Before your visit, there are a few important things you should know:
- A government issued picture ID is required
- Please have one of the following:
- Driver’s license
- State issued photo identification card.
- Please have one of the following:
- Dress should be business-casual
- No cameras are allowed
- Visitor badges must be worn at all times
- You must be escorted by a CDC employee to all non-event areas
- Professional conduct is expected
CDC has strict safety and security measures. Before the event, your name will be checked and cleared through our security process. When you first arrive on campus, you will be brought to the CDC Visitor Center where a CDC representative will greet and check you in. He/She will provide you with a visitor’s badge and informational packet for the day. Due to security constraints, we will not be able to provide a walking tour of our facilities.
Visitors and employees generally pass through a metal detector, similar to that at the airport, before entering the facilities. Therefore, it is very important that you do not carry items that could be considered potential weapons, including pocket knives, on that day.
Light refreshments will be served once you check-in and a boxed lunch will be provided at mid-day.
"Veterinary Student Day" will take place in our conference center. We will have an official photographer-on site taking professional pictures of the event. These pictures will be available for download following the event.
Please contact Megin Nichols at email@example.com or 404-639-4194 for additional information about this event.
*Names of companies and organizations in this notice are provided for information only and do not represent an endorsement by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Page last reviewed: October 26, 2016
- Page last updated: January 20, 2017
- Content source: