- February 23: NSSP vendor patches (Testing and Development) 12:00–8:00 AM ET
- February 23: NSSP vendor patches (Onboarding and Production) 12:00–8:00 AM ET
- March 21: NSSP vendor patches (Testing and Development) 12:00–8:00 AM ET
- March 23: NSSP vendor patches (Onboarding and Production) 12:00–8:00 AM ET
The new National Emergency Department Visits for COVID-19, Influenza, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) dashboard monitors data for a subset of emergency departments (EDs) across the United States to display NSSP’s ED visit data for multiple respiratory diseases. By tracking diagnosed conditions of patients in EDs, public health can detect and monitor unusual levels of certain respiratory illnesses, which can serve as an early warning system for troubling increases or outbreaks.
The dashboard shows national trends of ED data stratified by respiratory condition and age group. Three conditions are presented: diagnosed COVID-19, diagnosed Influenza, and diagnosed RSV. In addition, the website will feature a Combined category that sums visits for each of the three conditions into a single broad respiratory indicator. These data are based on three definitions: CDC COVID-Specific DD v1, CDC Influenza DD v1, and CDC Respiratory Syncytial Virus DD v1. Definitions can be found under Categories in NSSP–ESSENCE and detailed lists of included codes are presented in the website companion guide. Data are automated and refreshed weekly.
This work is the product of NSSP’s collaboration with state and local health departments and across CDC program areas. The dashboard represents another step in CDC moving forward to publicly share relevant and timely information. The dashboard’s release is the first phase of a larger effort to provide the public with information and insight across a broad array of data sources for respiratory conditions. Future iterations will likely include additional visualizations of NSSP data.
- The Data Quality (DQ) Dashboard User Manual, Version 2, is now scheduled for release late February or early March 2023. This manual supports the revamped DQ Dashboard application. The dashboard’s user interface will use grid cards to display graphical and tabular information and assist site administrators in evaluating data flow, completeness, validity, and timeliness of submitted data.
- The online publication How to Use RStudio with NSSP–ESSENCE APIs has been updated and posted in the Knowledge Repository. This version includes the following updates:
- An example that shows how an application programming interface (API) can pull facility-level data quality metrics (coefficient of variation, discharge diagnosis informative [DDI], chief complaint [CCI], etc.).
- A new section on session attribute IDs has been added to Tips and Tricks. A session attribute ID is an alias that ESSENCE automatically creates when a URL’s character count is too long.
- APIs can now be used to pull in the Chief Complaint/Discharge Diagnosis (CC/DD) Category table. This update lets ESSENCE users pull an up-to-date list of ESSENCE CC/DD categories and their underlying queries. It’s no longer necessary to manually copy and paste queries into R Markdown documents that serve as fact sheets or summaries of existing categories.
- The resource list has been updated to include up-to-date links, applied epi resources, and new open-source material covering topics such as machine learning for text analysis in R, time series analysis, data.table and dplyr, and Quarto.
These job aids bring together some of the “best of” resources developed by NSSP and the community.