NORA Mining Sector Council
The NORA Mining Council meets face to face once per year, usually in conjunction with the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) annual conference. Additional teleconferences are held at varying dates between the annual meetings.
February 28, 2018 2:00-3:00 pm CT in Minneapolis, MN
As part of the 2018 Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME) Annual Conference and Expo in Minneapolis, MN, NORA Mining Council Co-chairs Lee Saperstein and David Snyder hosted a forum entitled, NORA Research Objectives and Their Priority: A Discussion on Mining Research Priorities for the Third Decade of the National Research Agenda of NIOSH. After presentations on the theme, panelists and audience alike were asked to comment and discuss the path forward: the 2nd Decade developed the Mining Agenda, what should be 3rd decade focus?
- NSSGA Views on Future Research on Safety and Health
Joe Casper, Vice President for Safety Policy, National Stone, Sand and Gravel Association
- Open Forum for the Future of the United States Mining Safety and Health Research Agenda
Mark Ellis, President, Industrial Minerals Association – North America.
- NORA – Murray Energy Corporation
Ryan Murray, Vice President of Operations, Murray Energy Corporation
- Sustaining Efforts to Prevent Disasters, Fatalities, and Catastrophic Injuries in the Open Pit Metal Mining Industry
Matt Main, Health and Safety Manager, Climax Molybdenum, Freeport-McMoRan.
- Research Priorities Mine of the Future Today and Tomorrow
Jason Stoltz, Headquarters General Engineer, Office of Directorate, MSHA Technical Support, Mine Safety and Health Administration
November 1, 2018 1 p.m. ED.
NORA Hearing Loss Webinar
Archived Recording Now AvailableExternal
- R.J. Matetic – Director, Pittsburgh Mining Research Division, CDC NIOSH
- Hugo Camargo – Noise Control Team Leader, CDC NIOSH
- Amanda Azman – Research Audiologist, CDC NIOSH
- William Murphy – Research Health Physicist, CDC NIOSH
- Richard Neitzel – Associate Professor of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan
- Introduction of the NORA Sectors and Cross-Sectors, including the Hearing Loss Prevention Cross-Sector – R.J. Matetic
- NIOSH Research, Services, and Products
- Available noise controls – Hugo Camargo
- Other hearing loss interventions – Amanda Azman
- Recent research on noise and occupational exposure – William Murphy
- Hearing protection devices and fit testing – Amanda Azman
- Mining hearing loss web resources – Amanda Azman
- Relationship between noise and non-hearing effects, including stress and sleep – Richard Neitzel
- Attendee feedback
- Closing remarks – R.J. Matetic
February 22, 2017 2:00-3:30 pm MT in Denver, CO
A panel of experts drawn from industry, academia, labor, and government discussed current as well as emerging mine worker health and safety trends at an open-to-the-public session held in conjunction with the 2017 Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME) Annual Conference and Expo in Denver, Colorado.
- Mark Ellis, Industrial Minerals Association North America
- Jeffery Burgess, University of Arizona
- Ariel Hill-Davis, Industrial Minerals Association -North America
- Stacy Kramer, Freeport-McMoran Inc.
- Dr. George Luxbacher, MELM Consulting
- Dr. Hugh Miller, Colorado School of Mines
- David Snyder, NIOSH
September 5, 2017 1:00-2:00 pm ET (teleconference)
- Introduction to the Third Decade of NORA
- Review of the 2017 Denver Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) NORA Session Report
- Discussion of suggestions for specific improvements to the National Agenda.
- Poll of members on call:
- What are the key research questions that need to be addressed?
- What impact would that research have?
- What research topics have been adequately addressed but have not been implemented (R2P – research to practice – is lagging)?
- Identify key points of the National Agenda that they believe need to be combined, expanded, clarified, or discussed.
- If the National Agenda was to be prioritized, review what would be meant by “priority”
- Suggestions for the primary topic and nominations for potential panelists at the NORA session at the SME Annual Meeting in Minneapolis (February 28, 2018).
- Timing and content for next conference call; format for future Council meetings; interest in Webinars; possible Webinar topics.