November 16, 3:00–4:00 PM ET: eSHARE webinar: Planning Ahead to 2022: Message Mapping Guide (MMG) Roundup
Extended to December 6, 2021: Updated deadline to
- sign off on final 2020 reconciliation data and
- send NNDSS final, aggregate 2020 coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) case counts
June 19–23, 2022: Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) Annual Conference, Louisville, Kentucky. Learn more
Ready, Set, Go! – MMG Implementation is Revving Up
As coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) surveillance begins to become more routine, jurisdiction and CDC program thoughts are returning to other National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS) HL7 case notification messages. To support implementation and onboarding:
- The Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) is beginning new cohorts for implementation technical assistance.
- The NNDSS Data Standardization and Assistance Team is streamlining the MMG onboarding process.
- The CDC programs are aligning their resources to support and approve submissions.
If you put MMG implementation work on hold to respond to COVID-19, it is time to think about resuming implementation and decide which MMGs to prioritize.
Additional MMGs are now opening for general onboarding so there will be new options for you to choose from. The CDC programs are looking forward to receiving the more automated and richer data provided by the new messages and collaborating with you to send their conditions through HL7.
With input from jurisdictions and CDC programs, the Data Standardization and Assistance Team revised the onboarding processes, making review more efficient, turnaround on feedback quicker, and overall onboarding time shorter.
The APHL Technical Assistance team is increasing resources. They are preparing to revive on-hold cohorts and kick off new ones.
Join the November eSHARE call, which will present an MMG roundup to help jurisdictions prioritize work and allow programs to demonstrate the benefits of implementing and onboarding MMGs as jurisdictions plan for 2022. See more details in the eSHARE section below.
November Topic: Planning Ahead to 2022: Message Mapping Guide Roundup
Mark your calendar for the next NNDSS eSHARE session, scheduled for Tuesday, November 16, 2021, from 3:00–4:00 PM ET. The webinar will help jurisdictions prioritize MMG work and allow programs to demonstrate the benefits of onboarding.
To join a webinar, please see your Outlook invitation or contact the CDC Electronic Data Exchange mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org for login information with the subject line “eSHARE invitation.”
During annual NNDSS reconciliation, CDC counts the number of cases in a year using the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) week and year sent in the case notification. MMWR weeks also determine the months shown for each case in NNDSS annual publications.Learn More
Babesiosis Message Mapping Guide
- Babesiosis is now open for general onboarding. Babesiosis MMG version 1.0.2 contains formatting updates and the most up-to-date value set for International Destination(s) of Recent Travel (82764-2). All value sets associated with this guide are in the PHIN Vocabulary Access and Distribution System (VADS) Babesiosis Case Notification View version 5.
COVID-19 Message Mapping Guide
- Version 1.1 of the COVID-19 MMG has now posted.
- The PHIN VADS COVID-19 Case Notification View version 10 is now available for COVID-19 MMG version 1.0 and v1.1, including four additional values to Lab Test Type (COVID-19) and three additional values for Vaccine Type (NND).
Malaria Message Mapping Guide
- Malaria is now open for general onboarding. Malaria MMG version 1.0.2 contains formatting and test scenario updates and the most up-to-date value sets for International Destination(s) of Recent Travel (82764-2) and Subject’s Country of Residence Prior to Most Recent Travel (TRAVEL15). All value sets associated with this guide are in the PHIN VADS Malaria Case Notification View version 5.
Trichinellosis Message Mapping Guide
- Trichinellosis is now open for general onboarding. Trichinellosis MMG version 1.0.3 contains formatting and test scenario updates and the most up-to-date value set for International Destination(s) of Recent Travel (82764-2). All value sets associated with this guide are in the PHIN VADS Trichinellosis Case Notification View version 3.
Congratulations to the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) for recently going into production for Genv2 and Idaho for Trichinellosis.
If you are interested in joining a cohort or onboarding an MMG, please email the CDC Electronic Data Exchange mailbox at email@example.com.
|Final Guides||Piloting||Onboarding||In Production||Total|
Reminder: MVPS now provides information on all NNDSS case notification types—NETSS, NBS master message and HL7
With the Message Validation, Processing, and Provisioning System (MVPS) processing all the NNDSS data transmissions, you can use the MVPS portal to check the status of all the data you’ve sent— NETSS, NEDSS Base System (NBS) master message, and HL7 messages.* This allows you to see what cases are included in the NNDSS tables published weekly and allows you to identify any messages that errored and might need to be re-sent.
For more information, listen to the eSHARE call from August 10, 2021 CSTE (sharefile.com). User guides and job aids will be added to the MVPS Help section soon.
*Excludes legacy TB and arboviral messages.