Phase I: Pre-onboarding Steps
STEP 1: Prepare internal resources.
- Identify which MMGs you will be implementing. MMGs currently available may be found on the NNDSS HL7 Case Notification Resource Center, along with MMG-related documentation such as the PHIN Specification and event codes.
- Conduct readiness assessment of your technical infrastructure, test environment, transport, and expertise and resources by using the readiness checklist and reviewing the NMI Infrastructure Questions.
- Identify your team:
- project lead/champion,
- lead for integrated surveillance system,
- person responsible for gap analysis,
- person responsible for creating electronic messages,
- person responsible for configuring message transport, and
- person responsible for data administration of surveillance system for conditions covered by selected MMG.
- Gather technical documentation, such as case investigation forms, electronic laboratory reporting message examples, data extracts, and technical architecture diagrams and workflows.
STEP 2: Obtain CDC Secure Access Management Services (SAMS) Level 2 access for all users who will need access to the MVPS Dashboard.
STEP 3: Request MVPS Dashboard access by emailing email@example.com and assign a Jurisdiction Data Manager in the Dashboard.
STEP 5: Complete gap analysis and mapping to the HL7 message while documenting this information in the
STEP 6: Create test messages associated with the test case scenario worksheet, indicating differences from the CDC example values in the worksheet.
STEP 7: Validate test messages in the CDC Message Evaluation and Testing Service (METS) and confirm that they have passed with no errors and limited warnings.
STEP 8: Set up and test transport.
What are the implementation spreadsheet and test case scenario worksheet used for?
These documents provide CDC with key information on what a PHA will be sending in their HL7 messages, which is essential for the onboarding process.
How long does the onboarding process take?
The speed of onboarding varies from PHA to PHA, depending on readiness and issues identified during the onboarding process. The NMI Onboarding Team targets 6 to 8 weeks for onboarding an MMG.
Do I need SAMS access for arboviral v1.3 messages?
No, because arboviral v1.3 messages are processed in a system that does not provide information to the MVPS Dashboard, SAMS access is not required.