Adolescent Workers: Prevention of Workplace Injuries and Illnesses
This is a draft document meant for review only. Do not cite this document.
- Combining an occupational history with physical examination is essential for healthcare providers caring for teen and adolescent workers.
- Use a previsit questionnaire to gather information about work before the well child visit for all teens 12 and older.
- Include questions on job risk assessment, work hours, other protective measures (seat belts, helmets, gun safety).
- Additional questions on mental health (attention deficit disorder, depression, anxiety, stress, mood swings, and suicidality), and risk reduction (tobacco, alcohol, illicit drugs, prescription drugs, and violence) may also be helpful.
- This baseline information may be helpful in prioritizing prevention and intervention strategies.