- American Nurses Association (n.d.)
- American Nurses Association (2019). Healthy Nurse Healthy Nation. American Nurse Today, 14: 61-70. Silver Springs, MD: Author.
- Elnitsky C, Lind J, Rugs D, Powell-Cope G (2014). Implications for Patient Safety in the Use of Safe Patient Handling Equipment: A National Survey. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 51: 1624-1633.
- Elnitsky C, Besterman-Dahan K, Powell-Cope G, Ulrich P (2015). Implementation of Safe Patient Handling in the U.S. Veterans Health System: A Qualitative Study of Internal Facilitators’ Perceptions. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing.
- Fadul RM, Brown LM, Powell-Cope G (2014). Improving Transfer Task Practices Used With Air Travelers With Mobility Impairments: A Systematic Literature Review. Journal of Public Health Policy, 35(1): 26-42.
- Hodgson M, Matz M, Nelson A (2013). Patient Handling in the Veterans Health Administration: Facilitating Change in the Health Care Industry. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine / American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 55 (10): 1230–37.
- Lind J, Powell-Cope G, Chavez M, Fraser M, Harrow (2014). Negotiating Domains of Patient Dignity in VA Spinal Cord Injury Units: Perspectives from Multidisciplinary Care Teams and Veterans. Annals of Anthropology Practice, 37(2): 130-148.
- OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens (1910.1030) (amended 2019).
- OSHA (2013). Worker Safety in Hospitals: Caring for Our Caregivers: Facts About Worker Safety.
- Powell-Cope G, Haun J, Rugs D (2013). Description of a Social Marketing Framework for Implementing an Evidence-based Safe Patient Handling Program. American Journal of Safe Patient Handling and Movement, 3(2): 69-76.
- Powell-Cope G, Toyinbo P, Patel N, Rugs D, Elnitsky C, Hahm B, Sutton B, Campbell R, Besterman-Dahan K, Matz M, Hodgson M (2014). Effects of a National Safe Patient Program on Caregiver Injury Incidence Rates. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(10): 525–534.
- Rogers, B (2020). NIOSH Science Blog: Safety Culture and Health Care.
- Rugs D, Elnitsky, C, Lind, J, Powell-Cope G (2012). Mitigating Adverse Patient Events with Safe Patient Handling Equipment: A Photo-narrative Project. American Journal of Safe Patient Handling and Movement, 2(4): 112-118.
- Rugs D, Toyinbo P, Patel N, Powell-Cope G, Hahm B, Elnitsky C, Besterman-Dahan K, Campbell R, Sutton B (2013). Processes and Outcomes of the Veterans Health Administration Safe Patient Handling Program: Study Protocol. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 2(2): e49.
- Safe Patient Handling and Mobility (SPHM) Patient Handling Hazards.
- The Joint Commission (2021). The Essential Role of leadership in Developing a Safety Culture. Sentinel Event Alert, 57 (revised June 2021).
Page last reviewed: April 28, 2022
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health