- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) (2019). Patient Safety Network (PSNET) Culture of Safety.
- American Nurses Association (ANA) (2016). American Nurses Association Calls for a Culture of Safety in All Health Care Settings.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. Table 2: Numbers of Nonfatal Occupational Injuries and Illnesses by Industry and Case Types, 2019. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- DiCuccio MH (2015). The Relationship Between Patient Safety Culture and Patient Outcomes: A Systematic Review. Journal of Patient Safety, 11(3), 135–142.
- Famolaro T, Yount N, Hare R, et al. (2018). Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture – 2018 User Database Report.
- Gershon RR, Stone PW, Bakken S, Larson E (2004). Measurement of Organizational Culture and Climate in Healthcare. The Journal of Nursing Administration, 34(1), 33–40.
- Henriksen K, Dayton E, Keyes MA, Carayon P, Hughes R (2008). Understanding Adverse Events: A Human Factors Framework. Patient Safety and Quality: An Evidence-Based Handbook for Nurses. Washington, DC: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Hessels AJ, Wurmser T (2020). Relationship Among Safety Culture, Nursing Care, and Standard Precautions Adherence. American Journal of Infection Control, 48(3):340-341.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (2020). Improvement Stories.
- Lee TR (1996). Perceptions, Attitudes and Behaviour: The Vital Elements of a Safety Culture. Health and Safety 10:1-15.
- McHugh MD, Kutney-Lee A, Cimiotti JP, Sloane DM, Aiken LH (2011). Nurses’ Widespread Job Dissatisfaction, Burnout, and Frustration with Health Benefits Signal Problems for Patient Care. Health Affairs (Project Hope), 30(2): 202–210.
- Stone PW, Harrison M, et al. (2005). Organizational Climate of Staff Working Conditions and Safety-An Integrative Model. Advances in Patient Safety: From Research to Implementation (Volume 2: Concepts and Methodology). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US).
- The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Vaismoradi M, Tella S, Logan P, Khakurel J, Vizcaya-Moreno (2020). Nurses’ Adherence to Patient Safety Principles: A Systematic Review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(6): 2028.
- Weaver SJ, Lubomksi LH, Wilson RF, Pfoh ER, Martinez KA, Dy SM (2013). Promoting a Culture of Safety as a Patient Safety Strategy: A Systematic Review. Annals of Internal Medicine, 158 (5 Pt 2): 369–374.
Page last reviewed: April 28, 2022
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health