Study Syllabus for Classification of Radiographs of Pneumoconioses
This is a draft document meant for review only. Do not cite this document.
Before getting started, please review the following information, which is designed to help you navigate the material as efficiently and effectively as possible.
The self-study syllabus provides an overview of the Clinical and Pathologic Basis of selected Occupational Lung Diseases and sets of radiographs with explanations and answer keys as outlined below. Once you are familiar with section of the syllabus, you may navigate to different sections by clicking the home button at the top of each page and making a selection from the index.
Accurate classification of findings mandates careful review of digitally-acquired DICOM images and their comparisons with the ILO Standard Reference Images. Please follow the instructions below before you begin:
- Download the NIOSH B Reader Syllabus Radiographs (DICOM) and extract images to a folder on your computer.
- Ensure that you have DICOM image viewing software installed on your system. Here are some viewers known to work with the syllabus.
- NIOSH BViewer – Free DICOM image viewing software for the evaluation and classification of chest radiographs.
- Clear Canvas DICOM Viewerexternal icon – Open source ,desktop client for communicating with PACS servers and viewing DICOM studies.
- RadiAnt DICOM Viewerexternal icon – PACS-DICOM viewer for medical images.
- Other commercial DICOM viewers or PACS may also permit downloading and display of the ILO Standard images alongside the syllabus images. If you need technical assistance, contact your software vendor or PACS administrator before you begin.
- Obtain the ILO Standard Digital Imagesexternal icon.
- Import or open the syllabus radiographs in your DICOM viewer. The NIOSH BViewer has a button to “Import Studies from Local Media”.
- Import or open the ILO standard images in your DICOM viewer. The NIOSH BViewer has a button to “Install ILO Standard Reference Images” under the Set Up BViewer tab.