- Revell VL, Eastman CI . How to trick mother nature into letting you fly around or stay up all night. J Biol Rhythms 20:353–365.
- Eastman CI . How to get a bigger dose of bright light. Sleep 34:559–560.
- Dewan K, Benloucif S, Reid K, Wolfe LF, Zee PC . Light-induced changes of the circadian clock of humans: increasing duration is more effective than increasing light intensity. Sleep 34:593–599.
- Hofer-Tinguely G, Achermann P, Landolt HP, Regel SJ, Rétey JV, Dürr R, Borbély AA, Gottselig JM . Sleep inertia: performance changes after sleep, rest and active waking. Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 22:323–331.
- Anderson C, Horne JA . A high sugar content, low caffeine drink does not alleviate sleepiness but may worsen it. Human Psychopharmacol 21:299–303.
- Burdakov D, Jensen LT, Alexopoulos H, Williams RH, Fearon IM, O'Kelly I, Gerasimenko O, Fugger L, Verkhratsky A . Tandem-pore K+ channels mediate inhibition of orexin neurons by glucose. Neuron 50:711–722.
- Lowden A, Holmback U, Åkerstedt T, Forslund J, Lennernäs M, Forslund A . Performance and sleepiness during a 24 h wake in constant conditions are affected by diet. Biol Psychol 65:251–263.
- Cajochen C . Alerting effects of light. Sleep Med Rev 11:453–464.
- Ohayon MM, Carskadon MA, Guilleminault C, Vitiello MV . Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. Sleep 27(7):1255-1273.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute . Your guide to healthy sleep. DHHS (NIH) Publication No. 11-5271. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute [http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/sleep/healthy_sleep.pdf].
- Lu BS, Zee PC . Circadian rhythms sleep disorders. Chest 130(6):1915–1923.
Overview of Training Program
4. Individual Differences
5. Work Organization Strategies
9. Night & Evening Shifts
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
Providing National and World Leadership to Prevent Workplace Illnesses and Injuries
To learn more about NIOSH and our nation's safety and health research please visit: