- Van Dongen HP, Maislin G, Mullington JM, Dinges DF . The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose-response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep 26(2):117–126.
- Duffy JF . Shift work and aging roles of sleep and circadian rhythms. Clin Occup Environ Med 3:311–332.
- Czeisler CA . Medical and genetic differences in the adverse impact of sleep loss on performance: ethical considerations for the medical profession. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 120:249–285.
- Barclay NL, Eley TC, Buysse DJ, Archer SN, Gregory AM . Diurnal preference and sleep quality: same genes? A study of young adult twins. Chronobiol Intl 27: 278-296.
- Koskenvuo M, Hublin C, Partinen M, Heikkila K, Kaprio J . Heritability of diurnal type: a nationwide study of 8753 adult twin pairs. J Sleep Res 16: 156-162.
- Adan A, Archer SN, Hidalgo MP, Di ML, Natale V, Randler C . Circadian typology: a comprehensive review. Chronobiol Intl 29: 1153-1175.
- Adan A, Almirall H . Horne and Ostberg Morningness Eveningness Questionnaire: a reduced scale. Personality and individual differences. 12:241–253.
- Sack RL, Auckley D, Auger RR, Carskadon MA, Wright KP Jr, Vitiello MV, Zhdanova IV, American Academy of Sleep Medicine . Circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Part I: basic principles, shift work and jet lag disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine review. Sleep 30(11):1460–1483.
- Di Milia L, Adan A, Natale V, Randler C . Reviewing the psychometric properties of contemporary circadian typology measures. Chronobiol Int 30(10):1261-1271.
- Härmä M . Individual differences in tolerance to shiftwork: a review. Ergonomics 36(1–3):101–109.
- Härmä MI, Ilmarinen JE . Towards the 24-hour society: new approaches for aging shift workers? Scand J Work Environ Health 25(6):610–615.
- Sood A . Medical screening and surveillance of shift workers for health problems. Clin Occup Environ Med 3:339–349.
- Sharifian A, Firoozeh M, Pouryaghoub G, Shahryari M, Rahimi M, Hesamian M, Fardi A . Restless Legs Syndrome in shift workers: A cross sectional study on male assembly workers. J Circad Rhythms 14:7–12.
- Caruso CC, Waters TR . A review of work schedule issues and musculoskeletal disorders with an emphasis on the healthcare sector. Ind Health 46:523–534.
- Smolensky MH, Di Milia L, Ohayon MM, Philip P . Sleep disorders, medical conditions, and road accident risk. Accid Analysis Prevent 43:533–548.
- Trinkoff AM, Le R, Geiger-Brown J, Lipscomb J . Work schedule, needle use, and needlestick injuries among registered nurses. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28(2):156–164.
- Trinkoff AM, Le R, Geiger-Brown J, Lipscomb J, Lang G . Longitudinal relationship of work hours, mandatory overtime, and on-call to musculoskeletal problems in nurses. Am J Ind Med 49(11):964–971.
- Li J, Fu H, Hu Y, Shang L, Wu Y, Kristensen TS, Mueller BH, Hasselhorn HM . Psychosocial work environment and intention to leave the nursing profession: results from the longitudinal Chinese NEXT study. Scand J Public Health 38(3 Suppl):69–80.
- Aldridge M . Unlimited liability? Emotional labour in nursing and social work. J Adv Nurs 20(4):722–728.
- Caruso CC, Hitchcock EM, Dick RB, Russo JM, Schmidt JM . Overtime and extended work shifts: recent findings on illnesses, injuries, and health behaviors. Cincinnati, OH: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS NIOSH Publication No. 2004-143.
Overview of Training Program
4. Individual Differences
5. Work Organization Strategies
9. Night & Evening Shifts
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
Providing National and World Leadership to Prevent Workplace Illnesses and Injuries
To learn more about NIOSH and our nation's safety and health research please visit: