Maintain contact with family and friends
Shift work and long work hours can reduce the time available to communicate with the important people in your life.9 Over time this could damage personal relationships, so plan ways to maintain contact. Here are some suggestions.
- Try to have at least one meal together most days.
- Stay in touch by calling or emailing if feasible during your shift.
- A bulletin board at home may be helpful.
- You can write notes to each other.
- Plan special events or 'dates' after a stretch of work days with little quality time.