Live from Bethesda, Maryland: NIOSH Hosts the 1st International Symposium on Total Worker Health
August 12, 2014
Press Office Contact: Nura Sadeghpour (202) 245-0673
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) invites participants to experience live and in-person the 1s International Symposium to Advance Total Worker HealthTM. The conference, held October 6-8 in Bethesda, MD, provides a collaborative space for scientists and practitioners from around the world to consult and learn from one another the latest coordinated approaches to integrating health protection and health promotion in the workplace.
NIOSH is partnering with 14 organizations from labor, industry, and academia, including the NIOSH-funded Centers of Excellence to Promote a Healthier Workforce, at the Symposium to learn about the state of science and practice around efforts to infuse worker safety, health and well-being into the workplace and coordinate a dialogue between more than 500 agencies, scientists, and participants to advance Total Worker Health.
Participants can look forward to engaging at the Symposium in the following ways:
- Kick off the event with an opening panel of renowned national and international leaders that will explore new frontiers in worker health, safety, and well-being
- Enhance learning at over 30 science and practice sessions demonstrating current research and workplace approaches that integrate health protection and health promotion
- Take part in over 30 poster sessions describing novel research and best practices on safeguarding and promoting worker health
- Build on your professional development by exploring strategies and implementation tools for creating enhanced cultures of safety and health
- Expand your network of peers, connect, and exchange ideas and innovative solutions with multidisciplinary professionals from across the globe on similar workplace safety and health challenges
- Provide input that will help shape the very first research agenda for the Nation on integrating occupational safety and health protection with health promotion in two town hall forums.
- Share your input on the future development of a Total Worker Health Workforce
- Personalize your own health and well-being through opportunities to be physically active and eat nutritious meals on the beautiful NIH campus
- Stay connected with us before, during, and after the Symposium via Twitter using #TWH2014
To register and learn more about the Symposium, visit www.eagleson.org/totalworkerhealthExternal.
Participants are invited to take advantage of their time in Maryland and attend the Healthier Federal Workers 2014External Conference October 8-10, also in Bethesda at the NIH Natcher Conference Center.
Coined by NIOSH, Total Worker HealthTM is a strategy integrating occupational safety and health protection with health promotion to prevent worker injury and illness and to advance health and well-being. To find out more about the Total Worker Health Program and its work within NIOSH, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/TWH/.
NIOSH is the federal agency that conducts research and makes recommendations for preventing work-related injuries, illnesses, and deaths. For more information about NIOSH visit https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/.