TOTAL WORKER HEALTH
NIOSH collaborators may be research partners; users of our technology and scientific findings; peer reviewers; recipients of research grants and contracts; or sources of equipment, technology, or knowledge for advancing research and practice.
International Expert Colloquia on Total Worker Health
Annually, the NIOSH Office for Total Worker Health (TWH) convenes discussions with thought leaders to engage with NIOSH about current efforts and emerging issues related to the integration of health protection and policies, programs, and practices to promote well-being in the workplace and beyond.
Invited experts include representatives from:
- Academia: American University School of Education, Teaching and Health; State University of New York (SUNY)-Downstate School of Public Health; University of California –Irvine, School of Social Ecology; University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Health-related organizations: Change Agent Work Group; Center to Protect Workers’ Rights; Clinton Foundation; Health Partners Research Foundation; Integrated Business Institute; National Business Group on Health; Organizational Wellness Learning Systems; Pan-American Health Organization; Robert Wood Johnson Foundation; US Healthiest
- Labor organizations: American Federation of Teachers; Communication Workers of America; Farmworker Justice; Kaiser Coalition of Kaiser Permanente Unions; Service Employees International Union
- Private industry: Alcoa; Erickson Retirement Communities; General Electric; IBM; Kaiser Permanente; McCormick; Safeway; Sodexo, North America
- Professional associations: American Association of Occupational Health Nurses; American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine; American Industrial Hygiene Association; American Psychological Association; Association for Corporate Health Risk Management; Society for Occupational Health Psychology
- Public sector: Federal Occupational Health; Department of Health and Human Services; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control and National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; National Institutes of Health; Office of Personnel Management; Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation; Veterans Health Administration
NIOSH works with diverse organizations to convene national and international conferences which bring together stakeholders to share research and practice. Below are a few examples.
NIH Pathways to Prevention Workshop: Total Worker Health—What’s Work Got to Do With It?: The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, convened a workshop, “Total Worker Health—What’s Work Got to Do With It?External” December 9–10, 2015, at NIH, in Bethesda, Maryland. Read more about this conference on the Research Perspectives page.
1st International Symposium to Advance Total Worker Health: In 2014, NIOSH convened an international symposium to advance the total safety, health, and well-being of workers. The symposium brought together over 17 partner organizations and more than 350 scientists and practitioners from home and abroad, representing academia, labor, industry, and government.
Institute of Medicine Workshop: Total Worker Health partnered with the Institute of Medicine in 2014 to host a workshop titled “Total Worker Health: Promising and Best Practices in the Integration of Occupational Safety and Health Protection with Health Promotion in the Workplace”. Learn more about this workshop by visiting the Promising Practices page.
International Work, Stress and Health conference: NIOSH partnered with American Psychological Association (APA) and the Society for Occupational Health Psychology (SOHP) to sponsor the conferences in 2013 and 2015 and is currently planning the 2017 conference. Expert presentations and informal meetings with leading scientists and practitioners provide an exciting forum for learning about the latest developments in occupational health psychology.
Healthier Federal Workers conference: The NIOSH Office for TWH partnered with the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) to sponsor three Healthier Federal Workers conferences, featuring the Federal workplace’s most influential thought leaders and policy makers, with ample time to network with counterparts in agencies across the Federal spectrum.
Knowledge and Research Translation Collaborators
Collaborators on knowledge and research translation participate in a diversity of activities, including professional presentations, pilot interventions, workshops, webinars, and publications.
- Joint national conference presentations with L.L. Bean and WellAdvantage
- Webinars on sedentary work, lung health, small business, and work stress with speakers from the University of Oregon, Northeastern University, and other researchers and practitioners
- Publications and newsletter articles with the CDC Foundation, University of Southampton, and other experts in the public and private sector