Stress & Mental Health
Pre-travel Personal Planning
STRESS AND MENTAL HEALTH
Travel is stressful and can contribute to new or recurring mental health problems. Try to stay positive and flexible as plans change, flights cancelled, luggage lost, and other unplanned things happen.
- Develop a plan with family and loved ones for regular communication while traveling. Easy ways to connect include Skype, FaceTime, phone calls, and email.
- Incorporate routines and planned activities into each day.
- If possible, plan to take regular breaks and days off for rest and relaxation.
- Plan and participate in some new or fun activities.
- Get enough sleep, exercise, and nutrition.
- If concerns come up, seek help.
Page last reviewed: August 28, 2019
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health