Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
Tips for BRFSS Interviewers
The following materials were developed to provide guidance to BRFSS interviewers when collecting industry and occupation data.
- How to Capture High Quality Industry and Occupation Responses 2022 pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]
- Tips for BRFSS Interviewers 2022 pdf icon[PDF – 93 KB]
- Tips for BRFSS Interviewers 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 90 KB]
- Tips for BRFSS Interviewers 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 147 KB]
- Examples of Specific Industry Entries pdf icon[PDF – 110 KB]
- Examples of Specific Occupation Entries pdf icon[PDF – 115 KB]
Collecting Current Occupation and Industry Videomedia icon
This video has general advice on collecting industry and occupation that is applicable to the BRFSS survey, but it was not created specifically for BRFSS interviewers. The video was created to help researchers and public health practitioners collect useful text descriptions of industry and occupation information when completing surveys, infectious disease case reports, and other health-related data collection. It addresses the importance of collecting industry and occupation data in public health datasets and discusses best practices for collecting such data. Examples of good versus bad industry and occupation text descriptions are discussed, and case scenarios are reviewed.