Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
BRFSS Industry and Occupation 2013 Data
The following tables are produced from the 2013 BRFSS Industry and Occupation Module data, a non-public* dataset. The analyses were conducted in SAS 9.3 using the SURVEYFREQ procedure and include only currently employed or self-employed adults. The tables, which are previously unpublished, present weighted, unadjusted, bivariate prevalence estimates for selected health behaviors, health outcomes and access to care, as described:
- Current smoker (smoked at least 100 cigarettes in their lifetime and currently smoke)
- Did not get the flu vaccine in the past year
- No physical activity performed outside of regular job in the past 30 days
- Binge drinker (5 or more drinks for men on one occasion or 4 or more drinks for women on one occasion, in the past 30 days)
- Does not always use a seat belt
- Inadequate sleep (< 7 hours in a 24 hour period)
- Rated health as fair or poor
- Participant has ever been told by a doctor, nurse or other health professional that they have:
- Obese (BMI ≥ 30 kg/m²)
- Morbidly obese (BMI ≥ 40 kg/m²)
Description for 2013 Industry and Occupation Data
The following is a description of the data sources for the I&O optional module collected for the 2013 BRFSS survey.
- 19 states administered the I&O optional module: California, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, and Wisconsin.
- Washington and Wyoming added I&O as state-added questions and gave CDC permission to include their data in the aggregate dataset.
- Data Source: Washington State Department of Health, Center for Health Statistics, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, supported in part by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Cooperative Agreement, U58/SO000047-1 through 3 (2011-2013).
- Data Source: Wyoming Department of Health, Public Health Division, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, supported in part by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Cooperative Agreement, U58/SO000016-1 through 3 (2011-2013).
- 102,258 BRFSS participants were currently employed and considered for analyses.
- Certain groups were excluded from analyses:
- Active duty military, who are not a representative sample of the military
- Unpaid or retired workers who were inadvertently identified as employed
- From industry analyses: 3,115 (3.0% of the sample)
- From occupation analyses: 6,592 (6.4% of the sample)