OCCUPATIONAL HEARING LOSS (OHL) SURVEILLANCE
Mining, and Oil and Gas Extraction (MOG) Statistics
Noise Exposure and Hearing Protection
- About 61% of all workers in MOG have been exposed to hazardous noise.1
- 13% of noise-exposed MOG workers report not wearing hearing protection.2
Hearing Loss and Tinnitus
- Approximately 23% of all MOG workers have hearing difficulty.1
- About 11% of all MOG workers have tinnitus.3
- About 25% of noise-exposed tested MOG workers have a material hearing impairment.4 Hearing impairment is hearing loss that impacts day-to-day activities.
- 17% of noise-exposed tested MOG workers have hearing impairment in both ears.5
Trends in Hearing Loss Among Noise-Exposed Tested MOG Workers (1981-2010)4
- The prevalence for MOG increased 1% over 20 years (1991-2010) as compared with a 1% increase for all industries during the same time period.
- The incidence for MOG increased less than 1% over 10 years (2001-2010) as compared with a 1% reduction for all industries during the same time period.
- The adjusted risk for MOG decreased 7% over 10 years (2001-2010) as compared with a 12% reduction for all industries over the same time period. There was insufficient sample size to examine the MOG adjusted risks from 1986-2000, and this was not plotted.
Adapted from Figure 1, Masterson et al. 2015
Adapted from Figure 2, Masterson et al. 2015
- Kerns E, Masterson EA, Themann CL, Calvert GM. (2018). Cardiovascular conditions, hearing difficulty and occupational noise exposure within U.S. industries and occupations. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 61, 477-491.
- Tak S, Davis RR, Calvert GM. (2009). Exposure to hazardous workplace noise and use of hearing protection devices among US workers — NHANES, 1999-2004. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 52(5):358-371.
- Masterson EA, Themann CL, Luckhaupt SE, Li J. & Calvert GM. (2016). Hearing difficulty and tinnitus among U.S. workers and non-workers in 2007. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 59, 290-300.
- Masterson EA, Deddens JA, Themann CL, Bertke S. & Calvert GM. (2015). Trends in worker hearing loss by industry sector, 1981-2010. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 58, 392-401.
- Masterson EA, Bushnell PT, Themann CL, & Morata TC. (2016). Hearing impairment among noise-exposed workers — United States, 2003–2012. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 65(15), 389-394.