COMMERCIAL FISHING SAFETY
Live To Be Salty
Welcome to the Live to be Salty resource page! Here you will find posters, bumper stickers, fact sheets, and other items to help us spread the word about Live to be Salty and personal flotation device use. Help us spread the word and cast our nets as wide as possible.
Falling overboard is the second leading cause of death among commercial fishermen, nationwide. And the reason for that? Not wearing a personal flotation device (PFD). In fact, none of the 191 fishermen who died in the U.S. between 2000 and 2013 were wearing a PFD when they drowned.
Live to be SaltyExternal is a multi-media health communication intervention developed by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and our partners in an effort to reduce drownings, by promoting the use of PFDs on board commercial fishing vessels. Live to be Salty means to take steps that will lead to a long and productive fishing career. Live to be the Old Salt everyone looks to for advice by setting a good example for your crew and others. PFDs have come a long way in the last decade and many of the myths associated with them simply aren’t true. There are comfortable PFDs available on the market that you can wear 100% of the time on deck. PFDs that don’t snag on gear, don’t overheat you, and won’t restrict your movement. We hope to spread that word and save lives.
This resource page contains links to high resolution posters and other promotional items to support the Live to be Salty message. Each file comes with printing instructions and specs to produce high quality final products. If you have questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Live to be Salty focuses on raising awareness of the risk of man overboard fatalities among commercial fishermen and provides links to locating comfortable personal flotation devices that can be worn on deck while working.
- In 100% of the man overboard fatalities from the last 15 years, the victim was not wearing a PFD when they drowned.
- We recommend fishermen try on a variety of PFDs at their local gear shop to find one that works as hard as they do.
- All vessel operators should have a PFD policy for their crew – Worn 100% of the time on deck? Use them when climbing the stack? Crossing a bar? When the weather turns bad? Whatever your policy is, write it down, post it, and make the crew aware of it.
These messages are reinforced in the design of the resources included on this page. They are available for download for free, though there may be some cost associated with printing or manufacturing the items. New materials will be added through the course of the intervention based on feedback from partners and fishermen.
To get more information from the USCG on preventing falls overboard and cold water immersion visit: US Coast Guard District 13, Fish Safe WestExternal
This is a list of current print and promotional material for Live to be Salty. Click on the link to access a high-resolution download and printing instructions. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
- Posters (Printing InstructionsCdc-word)
- Can You Swim the Bering Sea? Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.54 MB]
- I’ll Tell You What’s Uncomfortable, It’s Not Your PFD Cdc-pdf[PDF- 4.5 MB]
- No One Chooses Fishing ‘Cause It’s Comfortable Cdc-pdf[PDF – 3.74 MB]
- Help Search Parties Get Back to Fishing Cdc-pdf[PDF – 5.23 MB]
- My Boat. My Rules. Wear Your PFD. Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.78 MB]
- You’re Crew Might Be Quick Enough, Might Not Cdc-pdf[PDF – 5.05 MB]
- PFDs Get in the Way of You Drowning Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.71 MB]
- What Are You Going to Tell The Family? Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.63 MB]
- You May Learn to Think Like a Fish Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.91 MB]
- Nobody Swims Home from the Bering Sea Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.40 MB]
- I’d Rather be Catching Fish Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.48 MB]
- Some Die at Sea, Others Wear PFDs Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.70 MB]
- Bumper Stickers (Printing InstructionsCdc-word)
- Point of Sale Materials
- Other Promotional Items