NIOSH BViewer System Requirements
The NIOSH BViewer software is designed to run on a personal computer running Windows 7 and 10.
The BViewer program should be run on a computer system with three display monitors:
- Primary Monitor: The Windows desktop monitor for displaying the Control Panel, the Standard Image Selector Panel and the Report Display Window.
- Medical Display Monitor #1: A calibrated high-resolution monitor for displaying the Standard Image Display Window.
- Medical Display Monitor #2: A calibrated high-resolution monitor for displaying the Subject Study Display Window.
The two medical display monitors should be arranged side-by-side to facilitate comparing the subject study image with the various standard images.
- CPU: dual-core (or better) running at 3 Gigahertz (or better).
- Memory: 16 Gigabytes of ram (or better).
- PCI Express: At least 1 slot for a PCI Express 3.0 x16 graphics controller card.
- Hard Drive: 150 Gigabytes of storage (or better).
- CD/DVD Drive: Able to read image files on a removable CD or DVD platter.
- USB 2 Ports: Able to read image file on a removable flash drive.
- Network Adapter: A high-speed network adapter card or motherboard connector.
- Mouse: Should have a left and right button and a wheel, or equivalent.
- Desktop Display Monitor – A conventional color display panel about 20-inch diameter or greater.
Medical Display Monitors
|Grayscale depth||10-bit or better|
|Resolution||3MP (5MP preferred)|
|Contrast ratio||250:1 cd/m2|
|Graphics Controller||High performance controller that supports Open GL 4.3 or greater|
The reader should use two side-by-side flat panel color-matched diagnostic quality medical displays capable of monochrome display and compliant with the DICOM® Grayscale Standard
Display Function (GSDF) standard. The viewing devices should be of the identical make and model. Color displays may be used if the devices demonstrate adherence to the above specifications.
The NIOSH BViewer can function with fewer than three display monitors and with less than 10-bit grayscale resolution. In this situation, image quality and reading facility will obviously be reduced. Ordinary display monitors typically support only 8-bit grayscale. This leads to a reduction to 256 distinct shades of gray from the optimum 1024 shades.
Specifications of the displays and graphics controllers used at NIOSH
NIOSH does not recommend specific brands or models of hardware for use with NIOSH BViewer software. NIOSH only recommends the use of sufficiently powerful computers running the Windows operating system and equipped with appropriate graphics cards for users’ medical display monitors (ideally, 3 displays should be used, 2 medical displays for viewing images and a conventional display for operating the software). However, for informational purposes, the configuration indicated below has worked successfully with the NIOSH BViewer and is able to display 10-bit images (up to 1024 shades of gray). Please inform NIOSH if you find additional configurations that work well for this application.
Graphics Controllers Compatible with BViewer
- Nvidia Quadro T1000, AMD Radeon 6700, Barco MXRT 5600 and 6700
- Disontinued Nvidia cards, but still compatible: Quadro FX1700, FX3700, 2000D, K2000D, P2000, P2200
Portrait Dual Medical Diagnostic Monitors Compatible with BViewer
- Double Black Imaging M5MPn, C5MPn
- Eizo GX 550 (5MP grayscale)
- Eizo RX 540 (5MP color)
- Barco Nio Color 5MP
- Barco Nio 5MP grayscale
Landscape Single Medical Diagnostic Monitors Compatible with BViewer
- Double Black Imaging (Image Systems) Gemini Series 12MP and 8MP
- Eizo RadiForce 850 (8MP color)
- Barco Coronis Uniti (12 MP color)