Located near Amarillo, Texas, the Pantex Plant has undergone many changes since it was built in the 1940s. In 1942, the plant was constructed by the Army to prepare artillery shells and bombs for World War II efforts. It stopped operating in the mid-1940s after the war ended and was sold to what is now Texas Tech University. Since then, the plant has been used to refurbish nuclear weapons and explosives, and is currently used to maintain the nation’s nuclear weapons stockpile and dismantle weapons retired by the military.
Nuclear workers from the Pantex Plant have been included in a few NIOSH studies. Below are fact sheets that summarize some of the study findings for workers.
Building Trades National Medical Screening Programexternal icon
To learn more, call 1-800-866-9663