December 8, 2010 Workshop on Respirator Approval Labels
NOTE: This page is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Letter to All Interested Parties
Issue Date: November 19, 2010
From: Jonathan V. Szalajda, Chief, Policy and Standards Development Branch, National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory
Subject: December 8, 2010 Workshop on Respirator Approval Labels
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL) will hold a Respirator Approval Labels Workshop on December 8, 2010 from 9:00 AM through 3:00 PM at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport, 1111 Airport Boulevard, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15231.
The goal of this workshop is for NPPTL to receive feedback from interested parties on the subject of respirator approval labels. No formal presentations will be made by NPPTL staff, but they will be available for the purposes of clarification and discussion.
The topics for which feedback is requested include:
- What are the current problems or issues with respirator labeling requirements?
- 42 CFR 84 requires a number of different labels. Which label is the most useful/relevant for each respirator type
- Should purchases of respirators from individuals or companies through standard commercial channels be based on Approval Numbers (or required to reference Approval Numbers)?
- How do the Approval Holders notify users of current multiple component respirators that there has been an update to the approved configuration?
- Can Approval Holders provide a supplemental (in addition to the required labels) electronic look-up to verify Approval Number and component parts for approved configurations? What are the advantages/disadvantages to this?
To register to attend the meeting in person, please contact the Policy and Standards Development Branch at 412-386-5200, or e-mail to CJennings@cdc.gov. Interested parties should make hotel reservations directly with the hotel by calling 800-233-1234.
Live Meeting participation is also available. If interested in participating via Live Meeting, please specify that when making your registration request.
- Page last reviewed: November 22, 2010 (archived document)
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory