NIOSHTIC-2 Publications Search

Industrywide studies report of walk-through survey, Micro-Biotrol, Chicago, Illinois.

Authors
Greife A; Morawetz J; Stayner L; Ringenburg V
Source
Cincinnati, OH: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, IWS 67-28, 1985 Jul; :1-19
Link
NIOSHTIC No.
00152295
Abstract
A walk through survey of Micro/Biotrol, Incorporated (SIC-2099), Chicago, Illinois, was conducted in August, 1984. The purpose of the survey was to determine the feasibility of including the facility in a NIOSH industrywide mortality/industrial hygiene study of ethylene-oxide (75218). The company was a contract treatment facility that treated approximately 90 percent of the incoming merchandise, primarily spices and spice blends, with 100 percent ethylene-oxide or a 12/88 mixture of ethylene-oxide and freon. Propylene-oxide was used on the remaining 10 percent. Approximately 290 workers with potential ethylene-oxide exposure were identified. These could contribute approximately 3,748 person/years to the NIOSH study. The company provided all employees with preemployment physicals at a nearby clinic. No followup physicals were offered. All employees were required to use hard hats and safety shoes. Safety glasses were required on an as/needed basis. Some industrial hygiene monitoring for ethylene-oxide was conducted by the company or a consulting firm. Highest exposures occurred among the vessel operators, ranging from 1 to 24 parts per million (ppm). The authors note that the ethylene-oxide exposures would exceed the new OSHA standard of 1ppm. They recommend including the facility in the NIOSH study.
Keywords
NIOSH-Author; NIOSH-Survey; Field-study; Food-processing-industry; Work-environment; Exposure-levels; Air-monitoring; Quantitative-analysis; Humans; Work-analysis; IWS-67-28; Region-5
CAS No.
75-21-8
Publication Date
19850709
Document Type
Field Studies; Industry Wide
Fiscal Year
1985
NTIS Accession No.
PB86-123890
NTIS Price
A03
Identifying No.
IWS-67-28
NIOSH Division
DSHEFS
SIC Code
2099
Source Name
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
State
IL; OH
Page last reviewed: June 12, 2019
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Education and Information Division