Mining Publication: Partial Cab Video and Information Suite
Original creation date: August 2007
A drilling worksite has many health and safety hazards. Drillers can see tripping hazards and dust, but may not realize that the noise around a drill rig can cause hearing loss. Over the course of a career, exposure to sound levels above 90 dB can cause noise-induced hearing loss. The sound levels while hammer drilling can reach 110 dB. At this sound level, a driller would be overexposed to nice in 30 minutes according to OSHA and MSHA regulations. To reduce drillers’ exposure to noise, NIOSH has developed a partial cab for surface drill rigs without cabs. NIOSH research shows the partial cab can reduce sounds levels at the control panel by as much as 9 dB. This video is part of a suite of information on building the partial cab from ordinary materials in a standard shop. Full instructions are available from the link below.
This suite is a downloadable ZIP file containing multimedia presentations and documents.
Instructions for Viewing the Information Suite:
- Download and extract the ZIP file below to a folder on your hard disk.
- Select and run the pptview.exe application in that folder.
- From the file list, select and open Partial_Cab_main_menu.ppt.
- Refer to the readme.doc file in that folder for more details.
NIOSH/USBM Numbered Publication - August 2007
NIOSHTIC2 Number: 20032429
Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2007-147c, 2007 Oct; :equipment
- The Consequences of 'Leaky' Enclosures
- Evaluations of a noise control for roof bolting machines
- The Evolution of Drill Bit and Chuck Isolators to Reduce Roof Bolting Machine Drilling Noise
- Field Evaluation of Seat Designs for Underground Coal Mine Shuttle Cars
- Hearing Loss Prevention in Mining - 2005
- Practical Application of a Partial Cab to Reduce the A-Weighted Sound Level at the Operator's Station on Surface Drill Rigs
- Sound Power Level Study of a Roof Bolter
- Systematic Comparison of Different Seats on Shuttle Cars Used in Underground Coal Mines
- Technology News 527 - The Partial Cab: A New Noise Engineering Control for Surface Drill Rigs
- Water Well Safety Bits: Health And Safety Information For The Water Well Industry
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program