Mining Product: You Are My Sunshine
Original creation date: January 2002
"You Are My Sunshine" tells the story of the Sunshine Mine Disaster of 1972 through the eyes of 27 people who lived through it. The video explores what happened, what went wrong, and what were the lessons learned. The Sunshine Fire was the catalyst for the Metal/Nonmetal Health and Safety Act of 1977, which put in place the metal/nonmetal regulations we currently have in this country. This video describes in vivid detail what happened during this tragic and historic event which cost the lives of 91 miners.
Total runtime: 68:23 minutes.
Authors: ET Cullen
Audience: Underground miners
Video - January 2002
NIOSHTIC2 Number: 20024218
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2002-132d, video, 2002
This video can be streamed from YouTube or a ZIP file containing a WMV file and a SRT closed caption file can be downloaded for local playback when streaming is not feasible. To use the ZIP file, download it to your computer and expand the contents into a folder of your choice. The SRT caption file will provide closed captions when using a compatible media player.
- The Brookwood Disaster and Electrical Requirements for Hazardous (Classified) Locations
- The Effects of Disaster on Workers: A Study of Burnout in Investigators of Serious Accidents and Fatalities in the U.S. Mining Industry
- History of the Mining Program
- Investigation of a Rock-Burst Site, Sunshine Mine, Kellogg, Idaho
- Issues for Training an Evolving Emergency Management Workforce: A View from the U.S. Mining Community
- Judgment and Decision Making Under Stress: An Overview for Emergency Managers
- Judgment and Decision-Making Under Stress: An Overview for Emergency Managers
- Performance-Based Fire Safety Designs for Self-Escape in Underground Mines
- Technology News 497 - "You Are My Sunshine": A New Video Release From NIOSH on the Sunshine Mine Fire
- Underground Coal Mining Disasters and Fatalities: United States, 1900-2006
- Page last reviewed: 10/22/2016
- Page last updated: 11/12/2013
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program