Mining Contract: Development of Strength Criteria for Coal and Nonsedimentary Rock Masses and Investigation of Underground and Open Pit Mine Stability of Such Rock Masses
Numerical models for predicting strata instability require reliable, site-specific input data to produce useful results. This research addresses the need for rock mass strength criteria for numerical modeling through field and laboratory testing and by incorporating said criteria into numerical models of several surface and underground mines.
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is ongoing.
The purpose of capacity-building contracts is to help build the capacity of our nation’s workforce to address critical safety and health problems in U.S. mines by producing graduates with advanced degrees in mining and minerals engineering, and to help develop tenure-track faculty performing research in these areas. Applications for these competitive grants are announced as part of NIOSH OMSHR’s Broad Agency Announcements and are submitted by a Principal Investigator at a U.S. institution offering an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree in mining or minerals engineering.
For further information on capacity-building contracts, please submit a request to OMSHR@cdc.gov.
- Above-the-Earth Field Contours for a Dipole Buried in a Homogeneous Half-Space
- Degasification System Selection for U.S. Longwall Mines Using an Expert Classification System
- Determination of In Situ Deformation Modulus for Cemented Rockfill
- Development of Multiple Regression Functions for Performance Prediction of Gob Gas Ventholes for Sealed and Active Longwall Mines
- Effects of Weak Bands on Pillar Stability in Stone Mines: Field Observations and Numerical Model Assessment
- Elastic and Shear Moduli of Coal Measure Rocks Derived from Basic Well Logs Using Fractal Statistics and Radial Basis Functions
- Numerical Model Calibration for Simulating Coal Pillars, Gob and Overburden Response
- Numerical Modeling of Paste Sills in Underhand Cut & Fill Stopes
- Pillar Strength and Design Methodology for Stone Mines
- Stochastic Modeling of Gob Gas Venthole Production Performances in Active and Completed Longwall Panels of Coal Mines
- Page last reviewed: 3/13/2017
- Page last updated: 3/13/2017
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program