Mining Contract: Full-Wave Modeling of MF Propagation
The contractor will develop models of MF propagation in mines based on results simulated through full-wave electromagnetic models. Full-wave simulations will be able to accurately model the coupling of antennas to mine conductors as well as model the propagation through coal mines. Simulations and models will be developed over a three-year effort.
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is complete. To receive a copy of the final report, send a request to email@example.com.
This contract investigates medium frequency (MF) propagation in coal mines. This work focused primarily on determining the changes in velocity factor and attenuation constant in medium frequency propagation on transmission lines in coal mines by varying the coal mine earth materials, the transmission line geometry (i.e., position of wire conductors relative to the coal mine tunnel boundaries), and changing the total number of wire conductors.
As a result of this contract, NIOSH OMSHR obtained dozens of FEKO models (electromagnetic simulation software) that are extremely useful and accurate for studying MF propagation in coal mines. The hybrid method developed during the course of this contract provides a means to exhaustively study and optimize MF communication networks in coal mines for survivability. The models have provided invaluable insight into the parameters that influence the performance of MF radio signal propagation on mine conductors (transmission lines). The results could be used by MF vendors to enhance the performance of their MF systems through optimizing the installation configuration of their conductors.
- Antenna Design & Coupling Studies at Medium Frequency for lmproved Coal Mine Communications
- Development and Application of Reservoir Models and Artificial Neural Networks for Optimizing Ventilation Air Requirements in Development Mining of Coal Seams
- Medium-Frequency Propagation in Coal Mines
- MULSIM/NL Application and Practitioner's Manual
- MULSIM/NL Theoretical and Programmer's Manual
- Research and Development Contract for Coal Mine Communication System: Volume 3 - Theoretical Data Base
- SPONCOM - A Computer Program for the Prediction of the Spontaneous Combustion Potential of an Underground Coal Mine
- Technology News 545 - NIOSH Updates Spontaneous Combustion Assessment Software
- Technology News 546 - Medium Frequency Mine Emergency Communications - An Emerging Technology
- Wireless Communications for Trackless Haulage Vehicles