Mining Contract: Coal Mine Dust Mitigation Through Novel Scrubber Development and Numerical Modeling
In the underground mining environment, dust generation resulting from mining activities remains a health and safety problem. Research under this capacity-building contract addresses the problem of dust in coals mines using two methods. The first method is dust removal using a novel scrubber and the second method is numerical modeling of migration dust through the mine ventilation network.
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is ongoing.
The purpose of capacity-building contracts is to help build the capacity of our nation’s workforce to address critical safety and health problems in U.S. mines by producing graduates with advanced degrees in mining and minerals engineering, and to help develop tenure-track faculty performing research in these areas. Applications for these competitive grants are announced as part of NIOSH OMSHR’s Broad Agency Announcements and are submitted by a Principal Investigator at a U.S. institution offering an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree in mining or minerals engineering.
For further information on capacity-building contracts, please submit a request to OMSHR@cdc.gov.
- Above-the-Earth Field Contours for a Dipole Buried in a Homogeneous Half-Space
- Degasification System Selection for U.S. Longwall Mines Using an Expert Classification System
- Effects of Weak Bands on Pillar Stability in Stone Mines: Field Observations and Numerical Model Assessment
- Elastic and Shear Moduli of Coal Measure Rocks Derived from Basic Well Logs Using Fractal Statistics and Radial Basis Functions
- Identification of Potential Roof Problems Using LED Lighting & Numerical Modeling of Highwall Stability Using FLAC3D
- Make it Safer with Roof Screen
- Pillar Strength and Design Methodology for Stone Mines
- Stochastic Modeling of Gob Gas Venthole Production Performances in Active and Completed Longwall Panels of Coal Mines
- Technology News 497 - "You Are My Sunshine": A New Video Release From NIOSH on the Sunshine Mine Fire
- Technology News 535 - NIOSH Releases New Educational Video: Escape from Farmington No. 9: An Oral History
- Page last reviewed: 7/18/2016
- Page last updated: 7/18/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program