Interim NIOSH Training for Emergency Responders: Safe Work Practices for Managers and Workers
Consider establishing policies that address fatigue:
- Set limits on the number of hours worked per 24-hour period and per 7-day period.
- Allow fatigued responders to request and take breaks without repercussions.
- Establish procedures for meeting the workload when a responder is unable to work (for example, reduce expectations, request new staff).
- Establish procedures to address a fatigued responder who insists on continuing work.
- Establish a signal with which the team can alert each other, such as the statement “I think this situation is not safe.”
Page last reviewed: April 1, 2020
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health