Interim NIOSH Training for Emergency Responders: Safe Work Practices for Managers and Workers
Create a Positive Work Atmosphere
To reduce psychological stress that can lead to poor sleep, create a work environment with these characteristics:
- Respectful interpersonal communications
- Clearly established responder rights, roles, and responsibilities, including
- Some control in decision-making
- Protection from threats or violence such as bullying
- Sufficient resources available for responders to do their jobs
- Acknowledgment of jobs well done
Establish Systems to Reduce Errors and Incidents Due to Fatigue:
- Identify areas in the operation where mistakes due to fatigue would cause significant problems.
- Develop a system to defend vulnerable areas: for example, double-check important work outputs.
Page last reviewed: April 1, 2020
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health