Live to be Salty Posters
DHHS (NIOSH) Publication Number 2014-107
Falling overboard is the second leading cause of death among commercial fishermen nationwide. And the reason for that? Not wearing a personal flotation device (PFD). In fact, none of the 191 fishermen who died in the U.S. between 2000 and 2013 were wearing a PFD when they drowned.
These posters are part of the Live to be Saltyexternal icon multi-media health communication intervention, an effort by NIOSH and its partners to reduce drownings by promoting the use of PFDs on board commercial fishing vessels.
For more information on commercial fishing safety research at NIOSH, please visit our fishing safety topic page.
- Can You Swim the Bering Sea? pdf icon[PDF – 4.54 MB]
- I’ll Tell You What’s Uncomfortable, It’s Not Your PFD pdf icon[PDF- 4.5 MB]
- No One Chooses Fishing ‘Cause It’s Comfortable pdf icon[PDF – 3.74 MB]
- Help Search Parties Get Back to Fishing pdf icon[PDF – 5.23 MB]
- My Boat. My Rules. Wear Your PFD. pdf icon[PDF – 4.78 MB]
- You’re Crew Might Be Quick Enough, Might Not pdf icon[PDF – 5.05 MB]
- PFDs Get in the Way of You Drowning pdf icon[PDF – 4.71 MB]
- What Are You Going to Tell The Family? pdf icon[PDF – 4.63 MB]
- You May Learn to Think Like a Fish pdf icon[PDF – 4.91 MB]
- Nobody Swims Home from the Bering Sea pdf icon[PDF – 4.40 MB]
- I’d Rather be Catching Fish pdf icon[PDF – 4.48 MB]
- Some Die at Sea, Others Wear PFDs pdf icon[PDF – 4.70 MB]