Live to be Salty Posters
DHHS (NIOSH) Publication Number 2014-107
Falling overboard is the second leading cause of death among commercial fishermen nationwide. And the reason for that? Not wearing a personal flotation device (PFD). In fact, none of the 191 fishermen who died in the U.S. between 2000 and 2013 were wearing a PFD when they drowned.
These posters are part of the Live to be SaltyExternal multi-media health communication intervention, an effort by NIOSH and its partners to reduce drownings by promoting the use of PFDs on board commercial fishing vessels.
For more information on commercial fishing safety research at NIOSH, please visit our fishing safety topic page.
- Can You Swim the Bering Sea? Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.54 MB]
- I’ll Tell You What’s Uncomfortable, It’s Not Your PFD Cdc-pdf[PDF- 4.5 MB]
- No One Chooses Fishing ‘Cause It’s Comfortable Cdc-pdf[PDF – 3.74 MB]
- Help Search Parties Get Back to Fishing Cdc-pdf[PDF – 5.23 MB]
- My Boat. My Rules. Wear Your PFD. Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.78 MB]
- You’re Crew Might Be Quick Enough, Might Not Cdc-pdf[PDF – 5.05 MB]
- PFDs Get in the Way of You Drowning Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.71 MB]
- What Are You Going to Tell The Family? Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.63 MB]
- You May Learn to Think Like a Fish Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.91 MB]
- Nobody Swims Home from the Bering Sea Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.40 MB]
- I’d Rather be Catching Fish Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.48 MB]
- Some Die at Sea, Others Wear PFDs Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4.70 MB]