NIOSH FY 2013-2016 Nanotechnology Strategic Plan comment period
NIOSH Docket Number 134B - CDC-2013-0001
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) seeks comment on the types of hazard identification and risk management research that should be considered for updating the NIOSH FY2013-FY2016 nanotechnology strategic plan. This draft strategic plan (Protecting the Nanotechnology Workforce: NIOSH Nanotechnology Research and Guidance Strategic Plan 2013-2016) can be found in Docket CDC-2013-0001 at http://www.regulations.gov.
NIOSH is considering focusing the overarching strategic research goals on 5 key objectives: (1) Increase understanding of new hazards and related health risks to nanomaterial workers; (2) Expand understanding of the initial hazard findings on engineered nanomaterials; (3) Support the creation of guidance materials to inform nanomaterial workers, employers, health professionals, regulatory agencies, and decision-makers about hazards, risks, and risk management approaches; (4) Support epidemiologic studies for nanomaterial workers, including medical and exposure studies; and 5) Assess and promote national adherence with risk management guidance.
NIOSH requests public input to address the following:
- What is the basis or rationale for priorities that NIOSH should give for studies of toxicity evaluation and/or workplace exposure characterization for engineered nanoparticles?
- What rationale can be provided for recommending needs and types of technical and educational guidance materials?
Federal Register Notice:
Notice of draft publication available for public comment; 78FR4150;
Protecting the Nanotechnology Workforce [PDF - 1 KB]
For access to prior background documents or previous comments received
Public Comment Period
Comments will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. EST on March 19, 2013.
Written comments, identified by CDC-2013-0001 and docket number NIOSH-134B, may be submitted by any of the following methods:
Federal rulemaking portal: Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
Instructions: All submissions received must include the agency name and docket number. All relevant comments, including any personal information provided, will be posted without change to http://www.regulations.gov
- Mail: NIOSH Docket Office
Robert A. Taft Laboratories
4676 Columbia Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45226
- Page last reviewed: January 30, 2013
- Page last updated: January 30, 2013
- Content source:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Page maintained by: Office of Associate Director of Communication, Division of Public Affairs