Alice Hamilton Awards Top Finalists for 2013
The names are not necessarily listed in the order in which they were ranked.
Education and Guidance
Martin M, Cox Ganser J, Kreiss K, Kanwal R, Sahakian N . NIOSH alert: Preventing occupational respiratory disease from exposures caused by dampness in office buildings, schools, and other nonindustrial buildings. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2013 102.
Pan CS, Chiou SS, Hsiao H, Keane P . Ergonomic hazards and controls for elevating devices in construction. In: Bhattacharya A, McGlothlin JD, eds. Occupational ergonomics: theory and applications. 2nd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, pp. 653−693.
Robson LS, Stephenson CM, Schulte PA, Amick BC III, Irvin EL, Eggerth DE, Chan S, Bielecky AR, Wang AM, Heidotting TL, Peters RH, Clarke JA, Cullen K, Rotunda CJ, Grubb PL . A systematic review of the effectiveness of occupational health and safety training. Scand J Work, Environ & Health 38(3):193−208.
Engineering and Control
Cecala AB, O'Brien AD, Schall J, Colinet JF, Fox WR, Franta RJ, Joy J, Reed WR, Reeser PW, Rounds JR, Schultz MJ . Dust control handbook for industrial minerals mining and processing. Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2012 112.
Fisher EM, Richardson AW, Harpest SD, Hofacre KC, Shaffer RE . Reaerosolization of MS2 bacteriophage from an N95 filtering facepiece respirator by simulated coughing. Ann Occup Hyg 56(3):315−325.
Karacan COuml;,, Goodman GVR . A CART technique to adjust production from longwall coal operations under ventilation constraints. Saf Sci 50(3):510−522.
Epidemiology and Surveillance
Attfield MD, Schleiff PL, Lubin JH, Blair A, Stewart PA, Vermeulen R, Coble JB, Silverman DT . The Diesel Exhaust in Miners Study: a cohort mortality study with emphasis on lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 104(11):869−883.
- Baron SL, Hein MJ, Lehman E, Gersic CM . Body mass index, playing position, race, and the cardiovascular mortality of retired professional football players. Am J Cardiol 109(6):889−896.
- Lehman EJ, Hein MJ, Baron SL, Gersic CM . Neurodegenerative causes of death among retired National Football League players. Neurology 79(19):1970−1974.
McCanlies EC, Fekedulegn D, Mnatsakanova A, Burchfiel CM, Sanderson WT, Charles LE, Hertz Picciotto I . Parental occupational exposures and autism spectrum disorder. J Autism Dev Disord 42(11):2323−2334.
- McWilliams LJ, Lenart PJ, Lancaster JL, Zeiner JR Jr. . National survey of the mining population. Part I: employees. Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2012 152.
- McWilliams LJ, Lenart PJ, Lancaster JL, Zeiner JR Jr. . National survey of the mining population. Part II: mines. Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2012 153.
Exposure and Risk Assessment
B'Hymer C, Krieg E Jr., Cheever KL, Toennis CA, Clark JC, Kesner JS, Gibson RL, Butler MA . Evaluation and comparison of urinary metabolic biomarkers of exposure for the jet fuel JP 8. J Toxicol Environ Health, A 75(11):661−672.
Chen BT, Schwegler Berry D, McKinney W, Stone S, Cumpston JL, Friend S, Porter DW, Castranova V, Frazer DG . Multi walled carbon nanotubes: sampling criteria and aerosol characterization. Inhal Toxicol 24(12):798−820.
Noti JD, Lindsley WG, Blachere FM, Cao G, Kashon ML, Thewlis RE, McMillen CM, King WP, Szalajda JV, Beezhold DH . Detection of infectious influenza virus in cough aerosols generated in a simulated patient examination room. Clin Infect Dis 54(11):1569−1577.
Methods and Laboratory Science
Hubbs AF, Cumpston AM, Goldsmith WT, Battelli LA, Kashon ML, Jackson MC, Frazer DG, Fedan JS, Goravanahally MP, Castranova V, Kreiss K, Willard PA, Friend S, Schwegler Berry D, Fluharty KL, Sriram K . Respiratory and olfactory cytotoxicity of inhaled 2,3 pentanedione in Sprague Dawley rats. Am J Pathol 181(3):829−844.
McKinney W, Jackson M, Sager TM, Reynolds JS, Chen BT, Afshari A, Krajnak K, Waugh S, Johnson C, Mercer RR, Frazer DG, Thomas TA, Castranova V . Pulmonary and cardiovascular responses of rats to inhalation of a commercial antimicrobial spray containing titanium dioxide nanoparticles. Inhal Toxicol 24(7):447−457.
Qi C, Kulkarni P . Miniature dual corona ionizer for bipolar charging of aerosol. Aerosol Sci Tech [Epub ahead of print, Sept 2012].
- Page last reviewed: April 26, 2013
- Page last updated: April 26, 2013
- Content source:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Page maintained by: Office of Associate Director of Communication, Division of Public Affairs