Surveillance for Ventilator-associated Events
VAE surveillance is available in plan for adult inpatient locations only. See PNEU/VAP for in-plan surveillance for pediatric locations. In-plan surveillance for ventilated associated PNEU is no longer available for neonatal patients.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- New! Use and Application of the Ventilator Associated Event (VAE) and Pneumonia Event (PNEU/VAP) Protocols Part 1 – 2018
- New! Use and Application of the Ventilator Associated Event (VAE) and Pneumonia Event (PNEU/VAP) Protocols Part 2 – 2018
- Patient Safety Component (PSC) Annual Survey – January 2016
- VAE, VAP and PNEU Definition Changes for January 2015
- Introduction to Device-associated Module Training [CBT – 60 min]
- New! General NHSN Definitions for 2018
- Determining Healthcare Association or Present on Admission Infections and Other Rules – July 2017
- New! Analyzing Device-associated HAI Data – 2018
- New! Analyzing Device-associated SURs – 2018
- Data Entry and Analysis Training
Frequently Asked Questions
Data Collection Forms
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.112 Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) form January 2018 [PDF – 109K]
- 57.118 Denominators for Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/Other locations (not NICU or SCA) form January 2018 [PDF – 40K]
- 57.150 Patient Safety Component—Annual Facility Survey for LTAC January 2018 [PDF – 95K]
- 57.106 Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan form January 2018 [PDF – 53K]
57.115 HAI Custom Event form January 2018 [PDF – 99K]
Customizable form [DOCX – 50K]
**Not to be used for CLABSI, CAUTI, SSI, VAE, pediatric VAP, or LabID events.**
To be used in conjunction with the CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2018 [PDF – 851K] Chapter in the NHSN Patient Safety Manual.
- Customizable form [DOCX – 50K]
- VAE Surveillance Mechanical Ventilation Table January 2015 [PDF – 154K]
- NHSN Patient Safety Component Alerts [PDF – 1M]
- Unusual Susceptibility Profiles Alert January 2015 [PDF – 362K]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions, January 2018 [PDF – 1M]
- NHSN Key Terms, January 2018 [PDF – 255K]
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2018 [PDF – 1M]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2018 [XLSX – 296K]
- Guidance for Missing Device-associated Denominator Data [PDF – 145K]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) [PDF – 290K]
CMS Supporting Materials
Calculator and Worksheets
- VAE Data Collection Worksheet January 2015 [PDF – 157K]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet January 2015 [PDF – 74K]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet Instructions January 2015 [PDF – 198K]
Related Publications and Other Resources
- Michael Klompas M, Kleinman K, Murphy MV for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2014).
Descriptive Epidemiology and Attributable Morbidity of VAE
Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 35(5): 502-10.
- Dessap AM, Katsahian S, Roche-Campo F, Varet H, Kouatchet A, Tomicic V, Beduneau G, Sonneville R, Jaber S, Darmon M, Castanares-Zapatero D, Brochard L, Brun-Buisson C (2014).
Ventilator-associated pneumonia during weaning from mechanical ventilation
[published online ahead of print March 20, 2014] Chest.
- Magill SS, Klompas M, Balk R, Burns SM, Deutschman CS, Diekema D, Fridkin S, Greene L, Guh A, Gutterman D, Hammer B, Henderson D, Hess D, Hill NS, Horan T, Kollef M, Levy M, Septimus E, Vanantwerpen C, Wright D, Lipsett P (2013).
Developing a new, national approach to surveillance for ventilator-associated events
Crit Care Med. 41(11):2467-75.
- Klompas M, (2013).
Complications of Mechanical Ventilation — The CDC’s New Surveillance Paradigm
N Engl J Med. 368:1472-1475.
- Hayashi Y, Morisawa K, Klompas M, Jones M, Bandeshe H, Boots R, Lipman J, Paterson DL (2012).
Towards improved surveillance: the impact of ventilator-associated complications (VAC) on length of stay and antibiotic use in patients in intensive care units.
Clin Infect Dis. 56(4):471-7.
- More – Complete listing of VAE Related Publications April 2014 [PDF – 66K]
Resources to Help Prevent Infections
- Page last reviewed: May 1, 2018
- Page last updated: May 1, 2018
- Content source: