Surveillance for Ventilator-associated Events
VAE surveillance is available in-plan for adult inpatient locations only. See PedVAE and PNEU/VAP for in-plan surveillance for pediatric locations. See PedVAE for in-plan surveillance for neonatal locations.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- Ventilator-associated Events Part 1 [CBT – 60 min]
- Ventilator-associated Events Part 2 [CBT – 60 min]
- Use and Application of the Ventilator Associated Event (VAE) and Pneumonia Event (PNEU/VAP) Protocols Part 1 – 2018
- Use and Application of the Ventilator Associated Event (VAE) and Pneumonia Event (PNEU/VAP) Protocols Part 2 – 2018
- New! Patient Safety Component (PSC) Updates to the 2018 Annual Facility Survey – January 2019
- Patient Safety Component (PSC) Annual Survey – January 2016
- VAE, VAP and PNEU Definition Changes for January 2015
- Introduction to Device-associated Module Training [CBT – 60 min]
- New! General NHSN Definitions for 2018
- Determining Healthcare Association or Present on Admission Infections and Other Rules – July 2017
- New! Analyzing Device-associated HAI Data – 2018
- New! Analyzing Device-associated SURs – 2018
- Data Entry and Analysis Training
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.112 Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) form January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 109 KB]
- 57.118 Denominators for Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/Other locations (not NICU or SCA) form January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 40 KB]
- 57.150 Patient Safety Component—Annual Facility Survey for LTAC January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 95 KB]
- 57.106 Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan form January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 53 KB]
- 57.115 HAI Custom Event form January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 99 KB]
- Customizable form Cdc-word[DOCX – 50 KB]
**Not to be used for CLABSI, CAUTI, SSI, VAE, pediatric VAP, or LabID events.**
To be used in conjunction with the CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 851 KB] Chapter in the NHSN Patient Safety Manual.
- Customizable form Cdc-word[DOCX – 50 KB]
- VAE Surveillance Mechanical Ventilation Table January 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 154 KB]
- NHSN Patient Safety Component Alerts Cdc-pdf[PDF – 1 MB]
- Unusual Susceptibility Profiles Alert January 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 362 KB]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions, January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 1 MB]
- NHSN Key Terms, January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 350 KB]
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 1 MB]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2019 Cdc-excel[XLSX – 296 KB]
- Guidance for Missing Device-associated Denominator Data Cdc-pdf[PDF – 145 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) Cdc-pdf[PDF – 290 KB]
- VAE Data Collection Worksheet January 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 157K]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet January 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 74K]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet Instructions January 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 198K]
- Michael Klompas M, Kleinman K, Murphy MV for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2014).
Descriptive Epidemiology and Attributable Morbidity of VAEExternal
Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 35(5): 502-10.
- Dessap AM, Katsahian S, Roche-Campo F, Varet H, Kouatchet A, Tomicic V, Beduneau G, Sonneville R, Jaber S, Darmon M, Castanares-Zapatero D, Brochard L, Brun-Buisson C (2014).
Ventilator-associated pneumonia during weaning from mechanical ventilationExternal
[published online ahead of print March 20, 2014] Chest.
- Magill SS, Klompas M, Balk R, Burns SM, Deutschman CS, Diekema D, Fridkin S, Greene L, Guh A, Gutterman D, Hammer B, Henderson D, Hess D, Hill NS, Horan T, Kollef M, Levy M, Septimus E, Vanantwerpen C, Wright D, Lipsett P (2013).
Developing a new, national approach to surveillance for ventilator-associated eventsExternal
Crit Care Med. 41(11):2467-75.
- Klompas M, (2013).
Complications of Mechanical Ventilation — The CDC’s New Surveillance ParadigmExternal
N Engl J Med. 368:1472-1475.
- Hayashi Y, Morisawa K, Klompas M, Jones M, Bandeshe H, Boots R, Lipman J, Paterson DL (2012).
Towards improved surveillance: the impact of ventilator-associated complications (VAC) on length of stay and antibiotic use in patients in intensive care units.External
Clin Infect Dis. 56(4):471-7.
- More – Complete listing of VAE Related Publications April 2014 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 66K]