Surveillance for Ventilator-associated Events
VAE surveillance is available in-plan for adult inpatient locations only. See PedVAE and PNEU/VAP for in-plan surveillance for pediatric locations. See PedVAE for in-plan surveillance for neonatal locations.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- Ventilator-associated Events Part 1 [CBT – 60 min]
- Ventilator-associated Events Part 2 [CBT – 60 min]
- Use and Application of the Ventilator Associated Event (VAE) Protocols – May 2019
- Ventilator Associated Event Case Studies – May 2019
- Patient Safety Component (PSC) Updates to the 2018 Annual Facility Survey – January 2019
- Patient Safety Component (PSC) Annual Survey – January 2016
- VAE, VAP and PNEU Definition Changes for January 2015
- Introduction to Device-associated Module Training [CBT – 60 min]
- General NHSN Definitions for 2019 – May 2019
- Determining Healthcare Association or Present on Admission Infections and Other Rules – July 2017
- VAE and PedVAE Analysis – May 2019
- Analyzing Device-associated HAI Data – May 2019
- Analyzing Device-associated SURs – May 2019
- Data Entry and Analysis Training
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.112 Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) form July 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 150 KB]
- 57.118 Denominators for Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/Other locations (not NICU or SCA) form January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 80 KB]
- 57.150 Patient Safety Component—Annual Facility Survey for LTAC January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 250 KB]
- 57.106 Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan form January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 80 KB]
- 57.115 HAI Custom Event form July 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 150 KB]
- Customizable form word icon[DOCX – 80 KB]
**Not to be used for CLABSI, CAUTI, SSI, VAE, pediatric VAP, or LabID events.**
To be used in conjunction with the CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 400 KB] Chapter in the NHSN Patient Safety Manual.
- Customizable form word icon[DOCX – 80 KB]
- VAE Surveillance Mechanical Ventilation Table January 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 154 KB]
- NHSN Patient Safety Component Alerts pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Unusual Susceptibility Profiles Alert January 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 362 KB]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions, January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- NHSN Key Terms, January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 150 KB]
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2020 excel icon[XLSX – 296 KB]
- Guidance for Missing Device-associated Denominator Data pdf icon[PDF – 145 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) pdf icon[PDF – 290 KB]
- VAE Data Collection Worksheet January 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 157K]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet January 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 74K]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet Instructions January 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 198K]
- Michael Klompas M, Kleinman K, Murphy MV for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2014).
Descriptive Epidemiology and Attributable Morbidity of VAEexternal icon
Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 35(5): 502-10.
- Dessap AM, Katsahian S, Roche-Campo F, Varet H, Kouatchet A, Tomicic V, Beduneau G, Sonneville R, Jaber S, Darmon M, Castanares-Zapatero D, Brochard L, Brun-Buisson C (2014).
Ventilator-associated pneumonia during weaning from mechanical ventilationexternal icon
[published online ahead of print March 20, 2014] Chest.
- Magill SS, Klompas M, Balk R, Burns SM, Deutschman CS, Diekema D, Fridkin S, Greene L, Guh A, Gutterman D, Hammer B, Henderson D, Hess D, Hill NS, Horan T, Kollef M, Levy M, Septimus E, Vanantwerpen C, Wright D, Lipsett P (2013).
Developing a new, national approach to surveillance for ventilator-associated eventsexternal icon
Crit Care Med. 41(11):2467-75.
- Klompas M, (2013).
Complications of Mechanical Ventilation — The CDC’s New Surveillance Paradigmexternal icon
N Engl J Med. 368:1472-1475.
- Hayashi Y, Morisawa K, Klompas M, Jones M, Bandeshe H, Boots R, Lipman J, Paterson DL (2012).
Towards improved surveillance: the impact of ventilator-associated complications (VAC) on length of stay and antibiotic use in patients in intensive care units.external icon
Clin Infect Dis. 56(4):471-7.
- More – Complete listing of VAE Related Publications April 2014 pdf icon[PDF – 66K]