Surveillance for Healthcare Personnel Vaccination
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that all healthcare personnel (HCP) and persons in training for healthcare professions should be vaccinated annually against influenza.  Vaccination of HCP helps to reduce absenteeism of workers and safeguard patients. Although annual vaccination is recommended for all HCP, national survey data have demonstrated that vaccination coverage levels are only approximately 78% . This is below the Healthy People 2020 target of 90% for HCP influenza vaccination .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2018-19 Influenza Season. 2018. MMWR 67 (RR-3); 1-20.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2017–18 Influenza Season.” MMWR 67(38);1050-1054.
- Healthy People 2020. Immunization and Infectious Diseasesexternal icon.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Comprehensive Training. February 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 2M]Comprehensive training slides on collecting and entering HCP influenza vaccination summary data.
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Long Term Acute Care Facilities. February 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 2M]
Training slides covering long term acute care facility reporting requirements for the 2016-2017 influenza season.
Training Webinars for the HCP Vaccination Module, February 2017.
Re-casts and transcripts of these training webinars hosted by the CDC.
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Influenza Vaccination Summary Protocol – March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
Guidelines and procedures monitored in the Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety Component or download the chapters individually:
- Introduction to Healthcare Personnel Safety Component pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Monthly Reporting Plan pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Influenza Vaccination Summary pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Key Terms pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Appendix A – Influenza Vaccination Summary: List of Contracted Healthcare Personnel pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.203 Healthcare Personnel Safety Monthly Reporting Plan Form March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 80 KB]
- 57.214 Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 150 KB]
- 57.215 Seasonal Survey on Influenza Vaccination Programs for Healthcare Personnel March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 110 KB]
- Healthcare Facility HAI Reporting Requirements to CMS via NHSN Current and Proposed Requirements September 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 102K]
- Reporting Requirements and Deadlines in NHSN per CMS Current Rules September 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 157K]
- Operational Guidance for Long Term Care Hospitals to Report Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Data to CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) for the Purpose of Fulfilling CMS’s Long Term Care Hospital Quality Reporting (LTCHQR) Program Requirements April 2014 pdf icon[PDF – 147K]
- Tips for Submitting HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary Data, January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 300 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) pdf icon[PDF – 290K]
- Monthly Checklist for the CMS Long Term Care Hospital Quality Reporting Program (April 2016) pdf icon[PDF – 199K]
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Data Entry Guide, October 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 120 KB]
- Submission of Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Data in NHSN. November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 282 KB]
- How to see Create & Modify Dates – Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination. May 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 448K]
- Methods and strategies used to collect healthcare personnel influenza vaccination data December 2013 pdf icon[PDF – 188K]
- Healthcare Personnel Safety Component – Variable Reference List pdf icon[PDF – 97K]