Surveillance for Healthcare Personnel Vaccination
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that all healthcare personnel (HCP) and persons in training for healthcare professions should be vaccinated annually against influenza.  Vaccination of HCP helps to reduce absenteeism of workers and safeguard patients. Although annual vaccination is recommended for all HCP, national survey data have demonstrated that vaccination coverage levels are only approximately 78% . This is below the Healthy People 2020 target of 90% for HCP influenza vaccination .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2018-19 Influenza Season. 2018. MMWR 67 (RR-3); 1-20.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2017–18 Influenza Season.” MMWR 67(38);1050-1054.
- Healthy People 2020. Immunization and Infectious Diseasesexternal icon.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Comprehensive Training. February 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 2M]
Comprehensive training slides on collecting and entering HCP influenza vaccination summary data.
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Inpatient Psychiatric Facilities. November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 2M]
Training slides covering inpatient psychiatric facility reporting.
- Archived trainings for the HCP Vaccination Module
Re-casts of these trainings hosted by the CDC.
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Influenza Vaccination Summary Protocol – March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
Guidelines and procedures monitored in the Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety Component or download the chapters individually:
- Introduction to Healthcare Personnel Safety Component pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Monthly Reporting Plan pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Influenza Vaccination Summary pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Key Terms pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Appendix A – Influenza Vaccination Summary: List of Contracted Healthcare Personnel pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.203 Healthcare Personnel Safety Monthly Reporting Plan Form March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 80 KB]
- 57.214 Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 150 KB]
- 57.215 Seasonal Survey on Influenza Vaccination Programs for Healthcare Personnel March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 110 KB]
- Healthcare Facility HAI Reporting Requirements to CMS via NHSN Current and Proposed Requirements September 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 102 KB]
- Reporting Requirements and Deadlines in NHSN per CMS Current Rules September 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 157 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) pdf icon[PDF – 290 KB]
- Tips for Submitting HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary Data, January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 300 KB]
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Data Entry Guide, October 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 120 KB]
- Submission of Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Data in NHSN November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 250 KB]
- Methods and strategies used to collect healthcare personnel influenza vaccination data December 2013 pdf icon[PDF – 188 KB]
- Healthcare Personnel Safety Component – Variable Reference List pdf icon[PDF – 97 KB]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions, January 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]