Surveillance for Healthcare Personnel Vaccination
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that all healthcare personnel (HCP) and persons in training for healthcare professions should be vaccinated annually against influenza. Persons who are infected with influenza virus, including those with subclinical infection, can transmit influenza virus to persons at higher risk for complications from influenza. Vaccination of HCP has been associated with reduced work absenteeism and with fewer deaths among nursing home patients and elderly hospitalized patients. Although annual vaccination is recommended for all HCP and is a high priority for reducing morbidity associated with influenza in healthcare settings, national survey data have demonstrated that vaccination coverage levels are only approximately 70% . This is well below the Healthy People 2020 goal of 90% for HCP influenza vaccination .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2009.” MMWR 58, no. Early Release (2009):1-52.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “ Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2012–13 Influenza Season. ” MMWR 62(38);781-786. (Accessed August 26, 2014).
- Healthy People 2020. Immunization and Infectious DiseasesExternal . (Accessed June 15, 2012)
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Comprehensive Training. February 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 2M]Comprehensive training slides on collecting and entering HCP influenza vaccination summary data.
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities. February 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 2M]
Training slides covering inpatient rehabilitation facility reporting requirements for the 2016-2017 influenza season.
Training Webinars for the HCP Vaccination Module, February 2017.Re-casts and transcripts of these training webinars hosted by the CDC.
Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Influenza Vaccination Summary Protocol November 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 350K]
Guidelines and procedures monitored in the Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety Component or download the chapters individually:
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.203 Healthcare Personnel Safety Monthly Reporting Plan Form January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 80 KB]
- 57.214 Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form August 2014 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 152 KB]
- 57.215 Seasonal Survey on Influenza Vaccination Programs for Healthcare Personnel July 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 113 KB]
- Healthcare Facility HAI Reporting Requirements to CMS via NHSN Current and Proposed Requirements September 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 102K]
- Reporting Requirements and Deadlines in NHSN per CMS Current Rules September 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 157K]
- Operational Guidance for Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities to Report Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Data to CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) for the Purpose of Fulfilling CMS’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Quality Reporting Program (IRF QRP) Requirements April 2014 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 126K]
- Helpful Tips for HCP Influenza Vaccination Reporting for the CMS Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Quality Reporting Program (IRF QRP) August 2014 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 103K]
- Using the “Line Listing – HCP Flu Vaccination Data for CMS IRF PPS” Output Option. May 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 162 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) Cdc-pdf[PDF – 290K]
- Monthly Checklist for Acute Care Hospital Units Designated as Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (IRFs) Reporting to CMS IRF IQR (July 2015) Cdc-pdf[PDF – 630K]
- New! Submission of Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Data in NHSN. July 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 282 KB]
- How to see Create & Modify Dates – Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination. May 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 448K]
- Methods and strategies used to collect healthcare personnel influenza vaccination data December 2013 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 188K]
- Healthcare Personnel Safety Component – Variable Reference List Cdc-pdf[PDF – 97K]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions, January 2018 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 1M]