Surveillance for Dialysis Healthcare Personnel Vaccination
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that all healthcare personnel (HCP) and persons in training for healthcare professions should be vaccinated annually against influenza.  Vaccination of HCP helps to reduce absenteeism of workers and safeguard patients. Although annual vaccination is recommended for all HCP, national survey data have demonstrated that vaccination coverage levels are only approximately 78% . This is below the Healthy People 2020 target of 90% for HCP influenza vaccination .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2018-19 Influenza Season. 2018. MMWR 67 (RR-3); 1-20.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2017–18 Influenza Season.” MMWR 67(38);1050-1054.
- Healthy People 2020. Immunization and Infectious Diseasesexternal icon.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
Weekly Flu Summary
Annual Flu Summary
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Comprehensive Training. February 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 2M]
Comprehensive training slides on collecting and entering HCP influenza vaccination summary data.
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Dialysis Facilities. November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 2M]
Training slides covering dialysis facility reporting requirements for the 2017-2018 influenza season.
- Archived trainings for the HCP Vaccination Module
Re-casts of these trainings hosted by the CDC.
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Influenza Vaccination Summary Protocol – March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
Guidelines and procedures monitored in the Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety Component or download the chapters individually:
- Introduction to Healthcare Personnel Safety Component pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Monthly Reporting Plan pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Influenza Vaccination Summary pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Key Terms pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Appendix A – Influenza Vaccination Summary: List of Contracted Healthcare Personnel pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
Weekly Reporting Forms
- 57.211 Weekly Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form for Non-Long-Term Care Facilities October 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 150 KB]
Annual Reporting Forms
- 57.507 Home Dialysis Center Practices Survey January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 250 KB]
- 57.203 Healthcare Personnel Safety Monthly Reporting Plan Form March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 80 KB]
- 57.214 Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 152 KB]
- 57.215 Seasonal Survey on Influenza Vaccination Programs for Healthcare Personnel March 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 140 KB]
Weekly Flu Summary
Annual Flu Summary
- Tips for Submitting HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary Data, January 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 300 KB]
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Data Entry Guide, October 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 120 KB]
- Submission of Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Data in NHSN. November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 282 KB]
- Methods and strategies used to collect healthcare personnel influenza vaccination data December 2013 pdf icon[PDF – 188 KB]
- Healthcare Personnel Safety Component – Variable Reference List pdf icon[PDF – 97 KB]
- How to Activate the NHSN HPS Component in Outpatient Dialysis Facilities June 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 631 KB]
Once a facility is enrolled in NHSN, additional users can be added. At least two users with administrator rights per facility are recommended to provide coverage for staff absences and turnover.
New users, start here: