Surveillance for Dialysis Healthcare Personnel Vaccination
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that all healthcare personnel (HCP) and persons in training for healthcare professions should be vaccinated annually against influenza.  Vaccination of HCP helps to reduce absenteeism of workers and safeguard patients. Although annual vaccination is recommended for all HCP, national survey data have demonstrated that vaccination coverage levels are only approximately 78% . This is below the Healthy People 2020 target of 90% for HCP influenza vaccination .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2018-19 Influenza Season. 2018. MMWR 67 (RR-3); 1-20.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2017–18 Influenza Season.” MMWR 67(38);1050-1054.
- Healthy People 2020. Immunization and Infectious Diseasesexternal icon.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Comprehensive Training. February 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 2M]
Comprehensive training slides on collecting and entering HCP influenza vaccination summary data.
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Dialysis Facilities. November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 2M]
Training slides covering dialysis facility reporting requirements for the 2017-2018 influenza season.
- Archived trainings for the HCP Vaccination Module
Re-casts of these trainings hosted by the CDC.
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Influenza Vaccination Summary Protocol November 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 350K]
Guidelines and procedures monitored in the Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety Component or download the chapters individually:
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.507 Home Dialysis Center Practices Survey January 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 120 KB]
- 57.203 Healthcare Personnel Safety Monthly Reporting Plan Form January 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 41 KB]
- 57.214 Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form August 2014 pdf icon[PDF – 152 KB]
- 57.215 Seasonal Survey on Influenza Vaccination Programs for Healthcare Personnel July 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 113 KB]
- Submission of Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Data in NHSN. November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 282 KB]
- Methods and strategies used to collect healthcare personnel influenza vaccination data December 2013 pdf icon[PDF – 188 KB]
- Healthcare Personnel Safety Component – Variable Reference List pdf icon[PDF – 97 KB]
- How to Activate the NHSN HPS Component in Outpatient Dialysis Facilities June 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 631 KB]
- Helpful Tips for Outpatient Dialysis Facilities to Report Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Summary Data through NHSN. March 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 500 KB]
- Using the “Line Listing – HCP Flu Vaccination for QIP” Output Option. March 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 600 KB]
- CCN Effective Date Guidance for Dialysis Facilities March 2016 pdf icon[PDF – 111K]
Once a facility is enrolled in NHSN, additional users can be added. At least two users with administrator rights per facility are recommended to provide coverage for staff absences and turnover.
New users, start here: