Surveillance for Healthcare Personnel Vaccination
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that all healthcare personnel (HCP) and persons in training for healthcare professions should be vaccinated annually against influenza.  Vaccination of HCP helps to reduce absenteeism of workers and safeguard patients. Although annual vaccination is recommended for all HCP, national survey data have demonstrated that vaccination coverage levels are only approximately 78% . This is below the Healthy People 2020 target of 90% for HCP influenza vaccination .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2018-19 Influenza Season. 2018. MMWR 67 (RR-3); 1-20.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2017–18 Influenza Season.” MMWR 67(38);1050-1054.
- Healthy People 2020. Immunization and Infectious Diseasesexternal icon.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Comprehensive Training. February 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]
Comprehensive training slides on collecting and entering HCP influenza vaccination summary data.
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Ambulatory Surgery Centers. November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]
Training slides covering ambulatory surgery center reporting.
Archived trainings for the HCP Vaccination Module
Re-casts of these trainings hosted by the CDC.
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Influenza Vaccination Summary Protocol November 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 350K]
Guidelines and procedures monitored in the Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety Component or download the chapters individually:
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.203 Healthcare Personnel Safety Monthly Reporting Plan Form January 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 100 KB]
- 57.214 Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form August 2014 pdf icon[PDF – 152 KB]
- 57.215 Seasonal Survey on Influenza Vaccination Programs for Healthcare Personnel July 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 113 KB]
- Helpful Tips for Ambulatory Surgery Centers to Report Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Summary Data through NHSN. March 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 200 KB]
- Using the “Line Listing – HCP Flu Vaccination Data for CMS ASC PPS” Output Option. March 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 200 KB]
- Healthcare Facility HAI Reporting Requirements to CMS via NHSN Current and Proposed Requirements September 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 102K]
- Reporting Requirements and Deadlines in NHSN per CMS Current Rules September 2015 pdf icon[PDF – 157K]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) pdf icon[PDF – 290K]
- Submission of Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Data in NHSN. November 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 282 KB]
- Methods and strategies used to collect healthcare personnel influenza vaccination data December 2013 pdf icon[PDF – 188K]
- Healthcare Personnel Safety Component – Variable Reference List pdf icon[PDF – 97K]