Surveillance for Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Events
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- OPC – Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Part 1 Reporting Requirements [CBT – 35 min]
- OPC – Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Part 2 Infection Criteria [CBT – 35 min]
- OPC – Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Part 3 Reporting Instructions [CBT – 43 min]
- OPC – Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Part 4 Data Analysis and Post-discharge Surveillance [CBT – 37 min]
- Outpatient Procedure Component Overview – 2018
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.400 Outpatient Procedure Component Annual Facility Survey Cdc-pdf[PDF – 300 KB]
- 57.401 Outpatient Procedure Component Monthly Reporting Plan Cdc-pdf[PDF – 250 KB]
- 57.404 – Outpatient Procedure Component Denominator for Procedure Cdc-pdf[PDF – 50 KB]
- 57.405 – Outpatient Procedure Component Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Event Cdc-pdf[PDF – 150 KB]
This toolkit can be used to assist ASCs with implementing an effective post-discharge surgical site infection surveillance process. It contains the following samples: surgeon letter, post-discharge SSI worksheet, and procedure line list by surgeon. Use of the toolkit is optional.
2018 Operative Procedure Code Documents
The documents listed below should be used for procedures performed in 2018.
- OPC – Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Procedure Code Mapping to NHSN Operative Procedure Codes Cdc-excel[XLS – 300 KB]
This guidance document provides the list of procedure codes that are available for use within Ambulatory Surgery Centers.
- OPC – ICD-10-PCS & CPT Codes – Guidance for HPRO & KPRO Procedure Details Cdc-excel[XLS – 20 KB]
This guidance document may be used for completing the NHSN procedure details for HPRO – hip arthroplasty and/or KPRO – Knee arthroplasty operative procedures
- ICD-10 CM Diabetes Diagnostic Codes Cdc-excel[XLSX – 15K]
ICD-10-CM codes included in this spreadsheet are acceptable for use to answer “YES” to “Diabetes Mellitus” for completing the NHSN Operative Procedure Details.
- ICD-10-CM/PCS Codes for ‘prior infection at hip or knee joint’ denominator form question Cdc-excel[XLSX – 20K]
Use ICD-10-PCS/CM diagnosis or procedure codes included in this spreadsheet to determine if patient meets criteria for ‘prior infection at index joint’.