Surveillance for Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Events
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- Surgical Site Infections (SSI) Training [CBT – 60 min]
- New! SSI Surveillance and Case Studies – March 2017
- New! SSI Surveillance with Case Studies (cont’d.) – March 2017
- ICD-10 PCS and CPT Transition – January 2016 [Video – 8 min]
- Patient Safety Component (PSC) Annual Survey – January 2016 [Video – 6 min]
- New! Surgical Site Infections (SSI) Event form for PATOS – June 2017
- Introduction to Procedure-associated Module Training
- New! General NHSN Definitions for 2017 – March 2017
- New! Determining Healthcare Association or Present on Admission Infections and Other Rules – July 2017
- New! Advanced Analysis: Focus on SSI – March 2017
- Data Entry and Analysis Training
Data Collection Forms
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.120 Surgical Site Infection (SSI) January 2017 [PDF – 102K]
- 57.121 Denominator for Procedure January 2017 [PDF – 49K]
- 57.122 Denominator for Custom Procedure January 2016 [PDF – 108K]
- 57.400 Annual Facility Survey for ASCs January 2016 [PDF – 154K]
- 57.106 Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan form January 2017 [PDF – 53K]
- 57.401 Outpatient Procedure Component Monthly Reporting Plan January 2018 [PDF – 43K]
2017 Operative Procedure Code Documents
The documents listed below should be used for procedures performed in 2017.
- Update! ICD-10-PCS Procedure Code Mapping to NHSN Operative Procedure Codes [XLSX – 611K]
- Update! Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Procedure Code Mapping to NHSN Operative Procedure Codes [XLSX – 313K]
- Additional Guidance for use with NHSN Operative Procedure Codes
Update! ICD-10-PCS & CPT Codes – Guidance for HPRO & KPRO Procedure Details [XLSX – 46K]
This guidance document may be used for completing the NHSN procedure details for HPRO – hip arthroplasty and/or KPRO – Knee arthroplasty operative procedures.
FUSN ICD-10-PCS Codes – Guidance for Spinal Level and Approach. [XLSX – 30K]
This supplemental guidance may be used to complete the spinal level and approach fields in the Operative Procedure Details section for FUSN procedures.
ICD-10 CM Diabetes Diagnostic Codes [XLSX – 15K]
ICD-10-CM codes included in this spreadsheet are acceptable for use to answer “YES” to “Diabetes Mellitus” for completing the NHSN Operative Procedure Details.
ICD-10-CM/PCS Codes for ‘prior infection at hip or knee joint’ denominator form question [XLSX – 20K]
Use ICD-10-PCS/CM diagnosis or procedure codes included in this spreadsheet to determine if patient meets criteria for ‘prior infection at index joint’.
- Update! ICD-10-PCS & CPT Codes – Guidance for HPRO & KPRO Procedure Details [XLSX – 46K]
- Document detailing changes made to the 2016 operative procedure codes
Update! Summary of 2016 Code Changes [XLSX – 343K]
This document identifies changes made to the codes 2016 operative procedure codes. It should not be used for identifying NHSN operative procedures or SSI events.
- Update! Summary of 2016 Code Changes [XLSX – 343K]
- Unusual Susceptibility Profiles Alert January 2015 [PDF – 362K]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions, January 2018 [PDF – 1M]
- NHSN Key Terms, January 2018 [PDF – 255K]
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2018 [PDF – 1M]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2018 [XLSX – 296K]
- Improving Risk-Adjusted Measures of Surgical Site Infection for the National Healthcare Safety Network [PDF – 527K]
- Sample Procedure Import File [XLSX – 25K]
- How to Import Patient Safety Procedure Data, August 2017 [PDF – 509 KB]
Frequently Asked Questions
For full details on protocol definitions and the application of these definitions, please review the applicable protocol and Chapter 2, Identifying Healthcare-associated Infection (HAI) for NHSN Surveillance [PDF – 1M] in the NHSN Module.
New! 2018 FAQs:
- Page last reviewed: April 5, 2017
- Page last updated: January 12, 2018
- Content source: