Surveillance for Ventilator-associated Events
VAE surveillance is available in plan for adult inpatient locations only. See PNEU/VAP for in-plan surveillance for pediatric locations. In-plan surveillance for ventilated associated PNEU is no longer available for neonatal patients.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- New! Ventilator Associated Events – March 2017
- New! Ventilator Associated Events (cont’d.) – March 2017
- Patient Safety Component (PSC) Annual Survey January 2016 [Video – 6 min]
- VAE, VAP and PNEU Definition Changes for January 2015 [Video – 11 min]
- Introduction to Device-associated Module Training [CBT – 60 min]
- New! General NHSN Definitions for 2017 – March 2017
- NHSN Definition and Rules Changes for January 2016 [Video – 8 min]
- New! NHSN Analysis: Focus on Device-associated Data SIR for CLABSI, CAUTI, and VAE – March 2017
- Data Entry and Analysis Training
Frequently Asked Questions
Data Collection Forms
- 57.112 Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) form January 2017 [PDF – 109K]
- 57.117 Denominators for Specialty Care Area (SCA) form January 2017 [PDF – 42K]
- 57.118 Denominators for Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/Other locations (not NICU or SCA) form January 2017 [PDF – 40K]
- 57.103 Patient Safety Component—Annual Facility Survey form January 2017 [PDF – 92K]
- 57.106 Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan form January 2017 [PDF – 53K]
57.115 HAI Custom Event form January 2017 [PDF – 99K]
Customizable form [DOCX – 50K]
**Not to be used for CLABSI, CAUTI, SSI, VAE, pediatric VAP, or LabID events.**
To be used in conjunction with the CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2017 [PDF – 851K] Chapter in the NHSN Patient Safety Manual.
- Customizable form [DOCX – 50K]
- NHSN Patient Safety Component Alerts [PDF – 1M]
- Unusual Susceptibility Profiles Alert January 2015 [PDF – 362K]
- VAE Surveillance Mechanical Ventilation Table January 2015 [PDF – 154K]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions, January 2017 [PDF – 808K]
- NHSN Key Terms, January 2017 [PDF – 255K]
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections, January 2017 [PDF – 851K]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Top Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2017 [XLSX – 296K]
- Guidance for Missing Device-associated Denominator Data [PDF – 145K]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) [PDF – 290K]
Calculator and Worksheets
Ventilator-Associated Event Calculator (Version 4.0)
- VAE Data Collection Worksheet January 2015 [PDF – 157K]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet January 2015 [PDF – 74K]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet Instructions January 2015 [PDF – 198K]
Related Publications and Other Resources
- Michael Klompas M, Kleinman K, Murphy MV for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2014).
Descriptive Epidemiology and Attributable Morbidity of VAE
Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 35(5): 502-10.
- Dessap AM, Katsahian S, Roche-Campo F, Varet H, Kouatchet A, Tomicic V, Beduneau G, Sonneville R, Jaber S, Darmon M, Castanares-Zapatero D, Brochard L, Brun-Buisson C (2014).
Ventilator-associated pneumonia during weaning from mechanical ventilation
[published online ahead of print March 20, 2014] Chest.
- Magill SS, Klompas M, Balk R, Burns SM, Deutschman CS, Diekema D, Fridkin S, Greene L, Guh A, Gutterman D, Hammer B, Henderson D, Hess D, Hill NS, Horan T, Kollef M, Levy M, Septimus E, Vanantwerpen C, Wright D, Lipsett P (2013).
Developing a new, national approach to surveillance for ventilator-associated events
Crit Care Med. 41(11):2467-75.
- Klompas M, (2013).
Complications of Mechanical Ventilation — The CDC’s New Surveillance Paradigm
N Engl J Med. 368:1472-1475.
- Hayashi Y, Morisawa K, Klompas M, Jones M, Bandeshe H, Boots R, Lipman J, Paterson DL (2012).
Towards improved surveillance: the impact of ventilator-associated complications (VAC) on length of stay and antibiotic use in patients in intensive care units.
Clin Infect Dis. 56(4):471-7.
- More – Complete listing of VAE Related Publications April 2014 [PDF – 66K]
Resources to Help Prevent Infections
- Page last reviewed: April 5, 2017
- Page last updated: May 16, 2017
- Content source: