Surveillance for Healthcare Personnel Vaccination
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that all healthcare personnel (HCP) and persons in training for healthcare professions should be vaccinated annually against influenza. Persons who are infected with influenza virus, including those with subclinical infection, can transmit influenza virus to persons at higher risk for complications from influenza. Vaccination of HCP has been associated with reduced work absenteeism and with fewer deaths among nursing home patients and elderly hospitalized patients. Although annual vaccination is recommended for all HCP and is a high priority for reducing morbidity associated with influenza in healthcare settings, national survey data have demonstrated that vaccination coverage levels are only approximately 70% . This is well below the Healthy People 2020 goal of 90% for HCP influenza vaccination .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2009.” MMWR 58, no. Early Release (2009):1-52.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “ Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2012–13 Influenza Season. ” MMWR 62(38);781-786. (Accessed August 26, 2014).
- Healthy People 2020. Immunization and Infectious DiseasesExternal . (Accessed June 15, 2012)
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Comprehensive Training. February 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 2M]
Comprehensive training slides on collecting and entering HCP influenza vaccination summary data.
HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Acute Care Facilities. February 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 2M]
Training slides covering acute care facility reporting requirements for the 2016-2017 influenza season.
Training Webinars for the HCP Vaccination Module, February 2017.
Re-casts and transcripts of these training webinars hosted by the CDC.
- Training webinar for Prospective Payment System (PPS)-Exempt Cancer Hospitals on the HCP Vaccination Module, July 2016.External
Re-casts and transcripts of training webinars hosted by the Health Services Advisory Group.
Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Influenza Vaccination Summary Protocol November 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 350K]
Guidelines and procedures monitored in the Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety Component or download the chapters individually:
All Data Collection Forms are Print-only
- 57.203 Healthcare Personnel Safety Monthly Reporting Plan Form January 2019 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 80 KB]
- 57.214 Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form August 2014 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 152 KB]
- 57.215 Seasonal Survey on Influenza Vaccination Programs for Healthcare Personnel July 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 113 KB]
- Cdc-pdf[PDF – 102K]
- Reporting Requirements and Deadlines in NHSN per CMS Current Rules September 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 157K]
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting ProgramExternal
- CMS’ Hospital Compare toolExternal
- Operational Guidance for Acute Care Hospitals to Report Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Data to CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) for the Purpose of Fulfilling CMS’s Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program Requirements and CMS’s Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting (OQR) Program Requirements. September 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 86K]
- Operational Guidance for Prospective Payment System (PPS)-Exempt Cancer Hospitals to Report Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Data to CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) for the Purpose of Fulfilling CMS’s PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting (PCHQR) Program Requirements. February 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 391K]
- Using the “Line Listing –HCP Flu Vaccination Data for CMS IPPS and OPPS” Output Option. May 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 174 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) Cdc-pdf[PDF – 290K]
- NHSN Monthly Checklist for Reporting to CMS Hospital IQR July 2015Cdc-pdf
- New! Submission of Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Data in NHSN. July 2017 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 282 KB]
- Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Reporting for Critical Access Hospitals. February 2016 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 75K]
- How to see Create & Modify Dates – Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination. May 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 448K]
- Methods and strategies used to collect healthcare personnel influenza vaccination data December 2013 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 188K]
- Healthcare Personnel Safety Component – Variable Reference List Cdc-pdf[PDF – 97K]